Onboard Refrigerator 1979 O’Day 30

Feb 3, 2013
ODay 30 Hope
I am asking for any advice and / or direction regarding the replacement of the refrigeration system on a 1979 O’Day 30. I know the central unit is shot. Now need to do what’s needed to get the system up and running again. Any input/assistance appreciated.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
How handy are you?
You can buy a new compressor for $250-300 and a new controller for approx $150 maybe dual voltage (12 DC/120 AC), and you will need a drier. You will need to have someone silver solder the new into the old setup, evacuate the system and slowly add R134A back into the system till you get the right level.

This assumes that you have no other leaks or obstructions in the expansion tube/orifice and the T'stat is good.

Feb 3, 2013
ODay 30 Hope
RitSim - I am somewhat handy. Being a boat owner again proficiency is improving. Thanks for the quick response. I have a service crew in mind to assist. Thanks again

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Some of the newer refrigeration units come with the compressor unit, the cold plate, and the hose set that does not need to be soldered or charged with freon.

When I need to upgrade my system, I think that this is the way I will go.

Something like this…

Greg

Feb 3, 2013
ODay 30 Hope
Greg - thank you. I’m gathering the responses and will move from there. Looking forward to having a cold space on the boat.

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
See my Youtube video on installing Isotherm system in my 322 ice box.

Very happy with it.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I installed this Isotherm unit in the ice box of my C30 last year. Isotherm 2010-SX
One of the better upgrades I've done to the boat. Less than a day to remove old unit and install the new one.
We take a couple of gallon zip lock bags of ice from the home freezer to the boat with us. We learned to put them under the cold plate and the cubes will stay solid for a few days.