Onan 8K Gen losing coolant

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
This has to be the most absurd piece of engineering design I have ever seen. The third bolt is well underneath the guard it is holding. With limited access and visibility, I finally resorted to rocking the guard back and forth on that last bolt until metal fatigue fractured the bracket. Hope it does not rattle too much with just two mounting points.

No wonder the fan belt has never been replaced.

The original fan belt is a Bando FM-36.2
Since Cummins Parts was unable to come up with a part number based on my model and serial number, I had to do some further research:
NAPA 25-7365 $20
AutoZone 15370 $11

Terry, the hour meter is in the first photo.

iOS Image - 932994112.jpg
iOS Image - 4153121188.jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Congrats on solving your over heat problem. Well deserved ovation. Is the blue circle that you drew around one of the bolts, is that where the other bracket was attached?

Found the hour meter reading in your previous picture. Thanks.

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
Yes, Terry. The blue circles are the bracket and the bolt holding it. It is still unclear how you are supposed to choose the right tool and figure out how to get it in there.

Moral of the story:
Change the fan belt every 30 years, whether it needs it or not.

iOS Image - 830448916.jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Yes, Terry. The blue circles are the bracket and the bolt holding it. It is still unclear how you are supposed to choose the right tool and figure out how to get it in there.
Just curious, that third lower bracket that you ended up twisting off, was the bracket through bolted or was it slotted? I do not remember.