On The Hook Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I’m anchored out in the river after 25 days tied to the dock and does it ever feel good. It was a late and sudden decision to leave. I checked the tide and weather after finishing the stock up errands earlier than planned and decided to drop everything and get underway for the first time in 25 days.

The creek leading to the dock is very shallow. I made it in at dead low water without the depth sounder ever showing less than three inches under the keel but it was close enough for me to want to do it on the latter half of a rising tide. That would have meant hanging around for most of tomorrow and I’ve been getting pretty antsy waiting for weather since Monday.

Showers are forecast for tomorrow but winds will be light and it will be worth getting a bit wet to shorten the cold and windy day to come on Sunday. Getting out in the river also means I can just haul up the anchor and boogie in the morning without having to deal with all that goes with getting a long term dockage set up unrigged and stowed.

SPOT is working again with the aid of a chopstick to push the tracking button. I don’t know how long that will last but I’ll try to get the new tracking page set up tonight and start it up again tomorrow.

I plan to head for Hampton in easy stages with a stop to see the friends I missed on the way up. After that, who knows? I’m cruising again.

Feb 3, 2009
Camper Nicholson 39 CC Rockland, Maine
Welcome back Roger. We have missed your travelog and your occasional rants.

I may have a SPOT that you can have when you get back to Maine. We have one like yours and my brother said that he may buy the second generation. We share it as he lives in the west and uses it for hikes in the desert and I use it on the boat.

Stay in touch when you get back north.

Ansley Sawyer

Oct 23, 2007
Cape Dory 31 Mobjack Bay, Virginia
Easy Stages

I plan to head for Hampton in easy stages with a stop to see the friends I missed on the way up. After that, who knows? I’m cruising again.
Nice to be reading your posts again, Roger. If you're still sailing in "easy stages", I recommend bearing off to starboard after you pass the New Point Comfort Light, and taking an extra day (or two) to enjoy exploring Mobjack Bay and any one of the tidal rivers branching from it: the East, the North, the Ware, and the Severn!

Status
Not open for further replies.