on the hard

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

it is that time of the year again in the north.... went to the sailing club marina on sunday.... there were lots of members there hauling out their boats and parking them in the trailer/boat storage area for the winter.... I hauled mine out and took it home... I have it parked in the driveway now.... already tarped it off, and am ready for a few days of descent weather so I can work on some projects here at home on the boat...

my wife was a little disappointed we brought the boat home.... she wanted to do more sailing, but she has never been in the cold winters yet.... she is from southern China on the tropic of cancer... the coldest it gets there is in the mid to upper 50's.... they grow crops there the year round....

how is everyone else faring up with the fall and winter time for their boats????????

sincerely
Jess

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Ah, the joys of living someplace warm. Sorry to rub it in but sailing season just started here. Kind of a wrap around season. I don't miss winterizing.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 320 Buffalo
Weather forecast for Tuesday 70 degrees 10 - 15 knot breeze. I will be out in the afternoon. Love Lake Erie in the Fall

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Just spoke with yard manager in Deltaville. Pau Hana's s'posed to go on the hard maybe today.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a trailerable sailboat. I have a stimpson bow-roof shed that I built for my baby. Put her under the shed this weekend. Pulled out a rack of bottled water and the first aid kit, put the O.B. tank in the shed and set out some moth balls and closed her up.

Attached is a pic from last winter.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Hey, Rgranger - it's funny in that pic, the 2 vertical beams next to the Hobie almost make it look as if the shed is on stilts :D

Yeah, yeah, I know, I ain't right… :D:D:D

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey, Rgranger - it's funny in that pic, the 2 vertical beams next to the Hobie almost make it look as if the shed is on stilts :D

Yeah, yeah, I know, I ain't right… :D:D:D

I think you are looking at my Vineyard trellis posts. I have 30 Norton vines (a.k.a Cynthiana). Keeps me warm during the winter months...;)

My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies that start with a "B"... I wish I could say that she was crazy but...

• I LOVE Boats
  • I have Honey Bees
  • I play in a Band
  • Grapes are technically a Berry
  • I have chickens (Birds)
  • For many years I raised quail (more Birds)
  • And I've written a few textBooks.
Now who ain't right...:eek:

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Here in the Pacific Northwest (48 degrees N) we haven't even had frost yet. I just did a bottom job and put the boat back in the water yesterday. I'm thinking of pulling the headsail so it doesn't mildew. The forecast is for rain and more rain.

When the time comes, I usually put a boom tent on to keep snow from clogging the cockpit drains.
Ken

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Brought the boat home last week. Got my first hip replaced in June, the other last Monday.
Now from Thanksgiving until April I can do all the mods and repairs on her with heat and light. Maybe even have a TV for the hockey games, but then we'd just drink beer and yell a lot. Maybe with dark tarps the neighbors won't know where the noise is coming from.
Ray

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
On the trailer next to the house last Sunday. "Dad needs help getting the mast down and boat home" is a good excuse to get both my boys at the marina with me, then I, (of course) bought lunch at the restaurant next to the marina. Last fall a son-in -law showed up with 2 grandsons, mast dropping cost me $120.00 !. Tried to thin out the herd this year.
Now I need to find time to get her empty and lots of wood off to go on the workbench for sanding and varnish. Getting ready for shrinkwrap in 2 weeks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think you are looking at my Vineyard trellis posts. I have 30 Norton vines (a.k.a Cynthiana). Keeps me warm during the winter months...;)

My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies that start with a "B"... I wish I could say that she was crazy but...

• I LOVE Boats
  • I have Honey Bees
  • I play in a Band
  • Grapes are technically a Berry
  • I have chickens (Birds)
  • For many years I raised quail (more Birds)
  • And I've written a few textBooks.

• Another glimpse into the world of rgranger. Wife seems like a gem, 'though. And a bing for you too, for having so many interests!.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I put my boat up long ago. I knew that I had a busy fall coming and I was very right.

It is funny how you begin to daydream after you put your boat up. Yeah, it happens some during the season, but by January I am going nuts.

I have to say that there is a lot that can be said about having the ability to haul the boat up on a trailer and not have to wait for a marina's schedule and pay them awful amounts of money to be hauled. I don't miss that about my other boat.

Oh well, everything is a trade off.

I am sure that I will come up with some winter projects for this year. Still, I have a brand new puppy to train this winter and I have a lot of work to do to her......and no, she won't be a boat dog. I can't imagine a Giant Maso Mastiff on a 23 foot boat. She is a girl but she should still get to around 150 pounds!

This is her picture at 14 weeks. She was about 25 pounds then. I am sure that she is now well over 30 pounds as she has been growing about 4 pounds a week!

Attachments

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
We did the autumn Chicago river trip, through the lock and 24 downtown draw bridges (Yes, twenty-four!), to Canal Street Marina on Oct 15. Dalliance is on the hard, winterized and shrink wrapped. She's all ready for winter, which is more than I can say for myself.

Chicago Harbors officially closed yesterday, though you can stay another two weeks in two of the harbors with a later leaver permit...for an additional fee of course. Not worth it. We had 50kt north winds, 23 foot waves and snow yesterday, so I was glad to be in already. Saw one boat in Monroe harbor last night with its genoa in shreds.

For the first time in a couple years I have no major boat projects planned for winter or spring. Time to focus on projects at home that have been neglected. Hoping for a mild winter and an early spring.

pogo2

Sep 26, 2008
Newport 30 Mklll North Tonawanda, NY
custom cover

Nice cover. Who made it?
The cover was made by Ricks Custom Covers & Canvas
Military Road
Niagara Falls, NY
They are a great company to deal with, I had a broken zipper issue, it was repaired no problem:D