On Deck Fuel Storage

May 27, 2010
Hunter 38 Virginia Beach, VA
Have a Hunter 38 and was wondering what other owners are doing for on deck fuel storage. Going to use plastic jerry cans - tips on securing would be appreciated.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Add

I added wood 3/4 thick 2 or 3'' wide from stanchion to stanchion with U bolts or
some cut down piece of plastic decking and than tie jugs to that at top of
jugs and run strapping around jugs to the wood with ratchet.
When I go on our 3 week cruise I bring 4 jugs diesel 2 water jugs and 1 gas jug.
Also did this when I sailed from NY to Florida all ocean.
Nick

Attachments

May 27, 2010
Hunter 38 Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Add

Nick - thanks for the post - pretty simple - I was erring on the side of making it way too complex!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
I took a 2x4, soaked it with stain, used U Bolts to attach it to stanchions. Then I made webbing straps with clips to loop around the wood and through the handles of the jerry cans. this isn't a very good photo of the set up but it is all I could find on my computer.

Attachments

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
1x3, UBolts and Nylon Straps

I carry 5 jerry cans of diesel while cruising. I have a treated, then painted, 1x3 attached with SS U Bolts, one each end, between stanchions. I then used 1-1/2 inch nylon strapping with plastic buckles. I routed 1-1/2 inch slots so I could use 2 straps per jerry can. One goes around horizontally, one vertically and they snap together.

They are solid as a rock in 6 foot waves. When I need fuel, I get one to the cockpit and then use a clear plastic jiggle siphon you can buy on Amazon for less than $9. Takes 1 min 40 seconds to transfer 5 gallons.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I carry 5 jerry cans of diesel while cruising. I have a treated, then painted, 1x3 attached with SS U Bolts, one each end, between stanchions. I then used 1-1/2 inch nylon strapping with plastic buckles. I routed 1-1/2 inch slots so I could use 2 straps per jerry can. One goes around horizontally, one vertically and they snap together. They are solid as a rock in 6 foot waves. When I need fuel, I get one to the cockpit and then use a clear plastic jiggle siphon you can buy on Amazon for less than $9. Takes 1 min 40 seconds to transfer 5 gallons.
By treated is that pressure treated lumber?

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
JK: yes it is pressure treated. I didn't mention above that I also cut a 3/4 x 3 inch piece to standoff the stanchion. I rounded off the face to contact the stanchion. I used two short stainless steel wood screws to attach the flat part to the board. I glued a piece of 1/8 inch thick grey foam weatherstripping on the rounded face. The weatherstripping went against the stanchion. This acted as a cushion to protect the stanchion when I take it off and it also provided some anti-vibration. I cut off the ends of the U-bolts and used acorn nuts on the inside to finish it off. After I got back from my cruise, I took off the jerry cans, but I left the board on. It looks like it is meant to be there and part of the boat.

Feb 3, 2014
Hunter 44 aft cockpit Miami, FL
My diesel fill is under my stern seat and really awkward to get to. I appreciate the siphon tip very much. So simple but I just didn't know about them! Thanks!!!

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
The pvc pipe is a fender board. It is. 3" x 4 foot pvc pipe with end caps. You can buy it at Lowes for very little. It is lightweight, easy to store, doesn't rot and easy to deploy. It is far better than a board. Great idea that you could store fishing gear in it too!

I drilled a hole through my the pipe on both ends and threaded the rope through with a knot on the bottom and top to hold it in the same place on the rope. Worked great on my cruise and my wife could easily handle deploying when we got to a slip.

The fuel siphon will move 5 gallons in 1 minute, 40 seconds. I wait until I am in relatively calm water to make the transfer, but it could be done in moderate seas, just takes two people. Our longest passage was 52 hours and I trasferred 15 gallons during that trip. My wife doesn't like ocean crossings (very susceptible to vertigo) so we motor sail to get across as quick as possible.
When cruising, we run our generator full time and keep the HVAC on. We also have KVH tracking antenna with Dish so she watches tv and it takes her mind off the passage. Helps to have a happy Admiral.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Fuel

I also use the jiggle clear hose for many years since 2001 that I came across in auto store and have even got for friends off Amazon too and recently replaced one that stopped working but the jiggle hose is the best.
I did same as Jerry with the board or can use plastic decking or have even seen stainless,but I also carry 4-6 fuel 1 gas and maybe 2 water jugs depending on the cruise trip and even did this when I sailed from NY to Florida
90% ocean and used the jiggle hose one time before motoring into a inlet.
Some sailors go all out and make canvas covers,but the only problem I have and looking for the fuel jug caps that vent and don't need fancy pouring ones
and may make ones special for the jug caps that vent.
So if any one has any idea's let me know and I use the jiggle hose so don't
the fancy locking pouring caps.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Re: Fuel

I'm with Nick. I would like to have some fuel caps that just cap off the jerry cans. The spouts on all of the, are worthless and just make a mess when you take them out of the jug. I have a can that I dropped the top in the lake and had to buy two red cans because I couldn't find decent yellow ones.

Anyone got a lead on just a screw on top?