OMG I may have bought a piece of junk :( :( ------ [EDIT] She's Awesome!!!!!!

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
With the garden hose I put some water in the cockpit and it came flooding out just behind the keel.

https://www.calligraphydallas.com/water.MOV
(forum won't let me upload it for some reason, so I uploaded it to my personal domain)

The only plumbing I can find is this right below the companionway:

plumbing01.jpg

The on-off thingy turns freely, like it has rusted loose completely. Maybe I just need to replace that faucet fixture? Is that a big job?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's the cockpit drain! Of course you flooded. Get the owners manual and also do some research on what others have done. Short answer: yes.

Jul 24, 2022
That's the cockpit drain! Of course you flooded. Get the owners manual and also do some research on what others have done. Short answer: yes.
Thanks Stu. I didn't think I would be replacing plumbing fixtures to get this old girl in the water, but whatevs.

Thanks. I've got the CatalinaDirect manual coming, and the C22 NSA tech manual on the way. Should get me there. Gonna postpone getting in the water though :(

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
No, I think what Stu is saying is that this is working the way it is supposed to work. You have drains in the cockpit that drain into the water. You want any water that spills in the cockpit to drain through those and go into the lake, otherwise it would fill up your cockpit and flood over into your cabin.

Jul 24, 2022
No, I think what Stu is saying is that this is working the way it is supposed to work. You have drains in the cockpit that drain into the water. You want any water that spills in the cockpit to drain through those and go into the lake, otherwise it would fill up your cockpit and flood over into your cabin.
Thanks Brock.

But it's draining out the keel-hole (?) - Is that what it is supposed to do? What about the fact that my drain valve spins freely? In other words, I can't seem to open or close it.

Sorry for the frustration... It was a little disconcerting to see all that water coming out the bottom.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That valve is rarely ever closed/used.

It is used in emergencies.
If those hoses fail/come off that the boat will sink. The valve is there so you can close it in an emergency if that happens.

AS everyone else has said... The water IS supposed to flow out of the cockpit, down those hoses, and out the bottom of the boat. It is doing what it is supposed to do.

That said, I would replace that valve and T fitting as soon as you have time. You want to be able to close that valve in emergencies. Use 2 stainless steel hose clamps on each hose.

In the meantime. You should have a wooden plug that you can jam into the "thru-hull' if it ever fails. The plug is emergency backup for that valve.

Thruhull = any fitting in a boat, that goes through the Hull. Big boats have lots of them. They should all have emergency plugs and/or valves to close them when needed.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
But it's draining out the keel-hole (?) - Is that what it is supposed to do?
Yes that is what it is supposed to do. The water needs to drain out of the cockpit drains/scuppers, someplace and that is how the early C22s were designed. (later models drain out the transom)

In other words, I can't seem to open or close it.
It should be able to open and close. It is only closed in emergencies.
You should replace it soon., but a long as the hoses don't leak you can likely sail the boat. Just check that no water is coming in when you launch the boat and beware that if the hoses fail, the boat can sink. Make or buy a wood plug for the meantime.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022
Yes that is what it is supposed to do. The water needs to drain out of the cockpit drains/scuppers, someplace and that is how the early C22s were designed. (later models drain out the transom)

It should be able to open and close. It is only closed in emergencies.
You should replace it soon., but a long as the hoses don't leak you can likely sail the boat. Just check that no water is coming in when you launch the boat and beware that if the hoses fail, the boat can sink. Make or buy a wood plug for the meantime.
Thanks @Leeward Rail - Man, I was bumming. There's a lot to learn for a first-time boat owner, especially with a 40-year old boat LOL

My brain tells me there is still a fair chance I got scammed.... That's the source of my frustration. I bought it on the trailer, without ever seeing it in the water. The guy seemed on the up-and-up, but looking back on it he said some things that should have raised a red flag.

Ah well. Live and learn I guess. Getting her in the water without taking on any water will do a lot to put my mind at ease. Getting her to sail will be a bonus :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here are a link to pages with someone replacing the valve...

Lots of threads here discuss replacing and even modifying the scuppers/drains and that thruhull.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
James
please consider the following as constructive advice from an x-Coast Guard member who has seen my share of tragic results caused by completely avoidable causes like failure to understand and maintain basic equipment.

Learn or have someone knowledgeable teach you how your boat works and what to do if something doesn’t work BEFORE you do anything elseand certainly before taking it out sailing. If you don’t understand cockpit drains, it’s a safe assumption that you don’t know some far more crucial things.

Jul 24, 2022
James
please consider the following as constructive advice from an x-Coast Guard member who has seen my share of tragic results caused by completely avoidable causes like failure to understand and maintain basic equipment.

Learn or have someone knowledgeable teach you how your boat works and what to do if something doesn’t work BEFORE you do anything elseand certainly before taking it out sailing. If you don’t understand cockpit drains, it’s a safe assumption that you don’t know some far more crucial things.
That's very good advice Don and I appreciate it. I have a good friend that grew up sailing, owning and repairing C22's, and he's the person I've been trying hard to show me the ropes. But he's immersed in some other projects at the moment and just doesn't have time. So yes.... Maybe what I need to do is find me an experienced C22 owner, maybe in the local C22 association, and get some private lessons.

That's the first time I've considered that, and it's growing on me so thanks for the good advice.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So yes.... Maybe what I need to do is find me an experienced C22 owner, maybe in the local C22 association, and get some private lessons.

That's the first time I've considered that, and it's growing on me so thanks for the good advice.
Grapevine Lake is just outside Dallas and one of if not the single most active C22 fleets in the south. Contact them and speak with some of the C22 sailors. It sounds like you haven't read the basic free owners manual which you can find easily online as your unfamiliar with your boat parts and systems. I don't want to discourage you but you have 2 options. Learn form those that have been there before or go broke fixing everything you "think" is wrong and then find out it was supposed top be that way.

Start here: https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/regions-and-fleets/209-fleets-in-region-8

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Ha-- we all got scammed by our own initiative. We actually spent money on 40+ year old boats made of wood, cast iron and fiberglass... somewhat by design: we all have marine skeletons that have to be discovered, and they all cost money.

The scam level is relative.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Clamp off both sides of the valve with Vise Grips and try it again

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Here is what I would do.
Get some popcorn and a sprite zero.
Hit YouTube and search "catalina 22 restoration" there are ton of videos
Relax and enjoy
Remember
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff

Jul 24, 2022
Put my boat in the water yesterday for the first time (since I've had her) and she performed beautifully!!!!!!!!

I am so stoked.

The Commodore of Region 8, Fleet 30 (Grapevine Lake) C22 sailing club met me at 9:30 am and spent the whole day with me. He's retired and super cool... And for retirement kicks he buys old C22's, fixes them up and sells them! Couldn't have found a more perfect guy to check out my 47-year old boat and take me sailing in it.

Last Monday, here in North Texas we got 10 inches of rain in a storm that lasted all day. During a break in the rain I climbed into my boat and found 1-2 inches of water in several of the storage lockers. My heart sank. I convinced myself she might not even float. Mark (the Commodore) said, "James, it's a 50-year old boat. She's gonna leak a little bit. Get a big sponge and sponge her out and your good to go until the next big rain." LOL

He gave her a good once over, got inside the cabin and checked the storage lockers, we stepped the mast and he showed me his favorite way to do it, went over all the rigging, backed her down the ramp (experience in itself) and took her out for a sail.

One of the best days of my life. I'm so happy with my sweet boat I can't see straight.

at_the_marina_04.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Sailing with experienced sailors is the best thing you can do. Super smart to have someone with you the first time to show you the ropes. Glad you got a great taste of it. The journey has only just begun.