OMC Saildrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

Hi to all, Please be kind, I am a refugee from the Catalina site. I have a friend without internet access who has a O'Day 25 with the OMC Sail drive unit. The engine has been rebuilt once and has a lot of hours on it. He has had a lot of problems with plug fowling and now with the demise of OMC, he wants to replace the unit. What is available to replace the OMC Saildrive unit he currently has. He is retired, so funds are not unlimited. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, I did own a O'Day 23 Pop top a long time ago, great boat. Dave S/V Westwind

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Saildrive

Dave - Here's a link to new saildrives, but probably cost prohibitive: http://www.saildrive280.com/ Failing that its probably to a hunt through the classifieds. Bentboat might have a salvage unit but it could be of questionable quality. If he can do his own glass work it would be cheaper to seal the hole and buy an outboard. I wouldn't want to do it, though. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Justin, that looks like just what he is looking for. I called him and gave him the phone # Dave, S/VWestwind

V

Vic

omc sail drive

check the coils on that motor one might be week for spark, go to a hotter spark plug stop the fouling, check thermostat it could be running to cold, and not runnig it at high speed might be some of the problem, i have one of theses motors and it runs like a top it is in a 28 ft oday , also honda makes a unit that comes complete with everthing you need,hope i help you out Vic

R

RichJ

a thought

Dave, a bit late with the reply, you and your friend might want to check this place out, a friend purchased from them. http://www.outboardsalvage.com/ they are a bit out of the way, but helped with a 30 year old unit. hope this helps RichJ

R

Russell Marcks

Agree w/ RichJ

I completely agree with RIchJ. Try hotter plugs and/or new ignition packs. Also try this site: http://www.outboard-parts.com/ie4/index.htm This guy is in Houston and has OMC/Johnson/Evinrude parts dating to the 40's. Another suggestion. I've cut down on my gas/oil mixture. About 60:1 instead of 50:1. This may help. Some of these two strokes have to be 'played with' a bit to find a good ratio. Russ

B

bruce lounsbury

saildrive replacement

I too have a saildrive on my Oday28 and have researched several alternatives. Try Saildrive 280; arne@saildrive280.com and stone@outboard-parts.com Good luck, Bruce Lounsbury

R

Randy Corbin

I have just purchased a O'day 25 with an omc saildrive. The motor is in a state of disrepair. If your buddy decides to pull his and hang an outboard, I would be very interested in buying his old unit. Thanks Randy Corbin RSCORBIN1@msn.com

D

Dave

Thanks to all

Thanks to all who posted. I have forwarded all of the responses to my friend. Dave S/V Westwind

A

Andy

Replacing the OMC

Hello, I own an O'day 28. Last year I replaced the OMC saildrive with a Yanmar 18HP saildrive. It changed the whole boat and sailing experience so much to teh positive I can only begin to explain. The only down side was teh cost,,, roughly 11,000.00 bucks,,, I don't think you owuls wish to put that into a 25. Befor the 28, I owned a 25, it had an outboard on it. Never any complaints. My suggestion for your friend is to remove the saildrive. Fiberglass closed the hole, and hang an outboard on teh back. An 8 or 9 hp pushes the boat just fine. It truely is too bad about OMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.