OMC Saildrive; starting on the hard

Mar 22, 2014
Oday 28 Tradewinds Marina, Lake Carlyle IL
Just purchased a 1979 O'Day 28 with OMC Saildrive. Was rebuilt in 09, but on the hard since fall of 2012. Made the sale contingent on it working. I assume I can start it on the hard by supplying a running hose of water to the water intake. Anything else I should worry about?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You've taken care of the engine requirements and I presume the saildrive has a mechanical seal. When you run the engine, be sure that the prop doesn't turn or you will damage the seal.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Um, I'm not sure about a saildrive unit but with my inboard engine you do NOT attach a pressurized hose to the cooling water hose. This can be a good way to fill the cylinders with water, especially if the engine is difficult to start.
Instead, I use a 5 gallon bucket to hold the water, place the intake hose (or extension) into the bucket and allow the water pump to pull all the water it wants.
As mentioned above, only run the engine in Neutral on the hard.

Mar 22, 2014
Thanks. I will use the 55 gallon drum and no supply hose. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mar 22, 2014
Thanks. I will use the 55 gallon drum and no supply hose. I'll let you know how it goes.
So, we tried to start the engine, with no luck. It cranks nicely, but there is no spark, proven by the little gizmo thing the mechanic had that showed the spark gap. So, either it is the coil, the little electronic control or, assuming there is a distributor, the distributor. There is a distributor, right??

The owner OK'd ordering some parts, though I don't know what parts. I'll keep you posted.

Mar 22, 2014
Hey, Bilge Pump??? I have one, but the water that leaked in around the mast boot, was not "automatically" flushed out by bilge pump. I assume, that if the batteries were low or not charged, that would be normal?

Mar 22, 2014
So, the mechanic replaced the ignition switch and the electronic control and ................................................ IT STARTED!!!! Looks good, water and exhaust coming out as it should, apparently, so, we Bought the boat. Would you belive, the mechanic used some of his own fuel to start it, and forgot to turn "on" the fuel flow valve. LOL.