Oldie but Goodie: 1977 Sha-lin

• Thread starter the Pirate of Sha-lin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the Pirate of Sha-lin

Just like the rest of us, Sha-lin is getting old. Everything works, just a little slower than before. Does anyone know of a source for other than routine maintenence? My windows leak, pop-top is torn, moveable parts stick. I am not handy, so I have no idea what to do. I would love to hear from the owners of other older C-22s, and what they are doing to keep there boats in like-new condition. She still sails well, and is more of a contender than I am. I really like crusing, though, and want to stay comfy. Many thanks! the Pirate of Sha-lin: Leslie M

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Catalina 22 Assn

Hi Leslie, You might try joining the Nat'l C22 Association. They have a magazine "Main Brace" which I assume is similar to "Mainsheet" which is a great source of helpful hints & information. The C22 Assn is $25 a year & if you want to order Mainsheet, it's $8 a year (I think). You should also look into buying a couple of good maintenance books, like "Shipshape" by Ferenc Mate. There are lots out there, so you have a wide library to chose from. To own a boat, you HAVE to be handy. Whether you are now or not, is moot. You must become handy or that boat is going to cost you a lot of money in having someone else do it! Preventative maintenance is key. Setting up a routine schedule for cleaning, waxing, varnishing, etc, etc, is important in keeping your baby "new". Good luck & have fun!

T

the Pirate of Sha-lin

No Ms. Fix-it, but...

Hi LaDonna! Thanx for your response. I'm going to look for the book you recommended. If I can read directions, I can usually figure out what to do. But if I mess it up, I'm going to tell everyone "It's LaDonna's fault!:)

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Just don't be intimidated

Some folks are so scared of boats they don't even want to try to fix 'em up themselves. In reality, most jobs aren't that hard at all. I, almost singlehandedly, refit my old C27 (except the standing rigging isn't done yet) from new bottom job to new paint job. Rebed all deck hardware, blah, blah, blah. Wasn't scary at all, once I knew what to do. I won't say it wasn't "hard" cuz it wasn't a lot of fun but what a beauty! Anyway, come back with more specific questions. There's lots of old salts here who know lots of salty tricks! LaDonna PS: Oh, man, now the pressure's on - it'll be MY fault! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.