Older Catalina 38 steering position & original engine concerns

Jan 20, 2021
Catalina 38 BH
Hello - new to this forum and would appreciate any feedback.
Am looking at a mid 80's Catalina 38 for sale in the local marina. Wondering about the cramped/constrained steering position space aft of the wheel...there is no appreciable foot (or body) room directly behind the wheel, which would appear to make steering from the side of the wheel (aft side corner of the cockpit) mandatory. Is this a problem, do you get used to it or is there a work around? Besides the seemingly awkward, very tight steering room/position, the boat has the original Universal 5424 diesel (24 hp) engine in it. For such a heavy boat, this seems underpowered, Is it? Might need a new engine anyway, but that's an expensive proposition. Will have to get the engine surveyed of course, but wondering about power/weight for this boat as a first filter. Can't imagine the boat going much over 5 knots under motor.
Thanks very much for any input
Andreas

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Andreas, are you talking about getting around the wheel to the steering position?
Most aft cockpit positions are challenged to provide a lot of space for cockpit and steering. One of the reasons, on older boats, is the cockpit design was smaller to minimize the volume of water in the cockpit should a wave sweep over the stern. You will find that large "scupper" drains are used to empty the cockpit.

When you are in the stern it is difficult to see over the boat's raised deck. Most skippers sit either on the starboard or port side, not directly behind the wheel. If you move towards a bit younger boat you will find the designs changed and more space was given to the helm. Additionally the cockpit was designed open to the stern of the boat reducing the issue of water filling the cockpit and sinking the boat.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i was trained that the cockpit is the most important part of the boat for the owner/captain to consider when choosing a vessel. had my boat for 47 seasons now. have not gone 100ft under sail with the autopilot steering the vessel. do not have a dodger, do not have a bimini, have a comfortable helm seat behind the wheel. can sit comfortably on either side of the wheel. can stand comfortably behind the wheel at all times, in all weather. the boat is from 66'. i do not want it any other way cause i love sailing the vessel.

now, most modern sailors do not care for my demands. they do not want a crew. they do not want to steer. they do not care about driving the vessel. they do not read the waves. they are happy riding on the boat and let nature take it's course. and they demand a huge engine to get to windward. motor sailors are very popular today. reach when you can. motor a lot. hide behind the dodger.

life is choices. most people want a motor sailor. and that is great for them. it's very popular.

you want a 'sailboat', get a great helm station.

Jan 20, 2021
Catalina 38 BH
Andreas, are you talking about getting around the wheel to the steering position?
Most aft cockpit positions are challenged to provide a lot of space for cockpit and steering. One of the reasons, on older boats, is the cockpit design was smaller to minimize the volume of water in the cockpit should a wave sweep over the stern. You will find that large "scupper" drains are used to empty the cockpit.

When you are in the stern it is difficult to see over the boat's raised deck. Most skippers sit either on the starboard or port side, not directly behind the wheel. If you move towards a bit younger boat you will find the designs changed and more space was given to the helm. Additionally the cockpit was designed open to the stern of the boat reducing the issue of water filling the cockpit and sinking the boat.
thanks for the reply - I'm referring to the very limited space behind the wheel. I can squeeze back there but effectively can't stand directly behind the wheel for any length of time because it's too tight. Heels are pressed against the transom (there is no cut-out) and my chest is against the wheel. Wondering what position skippers with this boat (Catalina38) assume to make steering with a wheel work.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Andreas,

I understand your ergonomic issues. One way to defeat that is to avoid being a slave behind the wheel.

Re your engine:

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)

Diesel Engine - c34.org

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If I remember correctly, the older Catalina 38 was a wide-hipped IOR boat with a pinched stern. You're right, there's not much room behind the wheel.

Slave to the wheel -- Most of the time on a sailboat, I'm not behind the wheel like in a car, but beside or in front of it, whether it's on autopilot or not. I certainly sail much better when I'm sitting on either side and can see the sails. Also, I can't handle lines if I'm trapped behind a big wheel. I find the only time I'm square behind any wheel is motoring in tight quarters, particularly if I may need to back, because it gives me better spacial awareness and feel (don't know why).