Older Autopilot

Sep 22, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol RI
I just obtained an older Raymarine autopilot. It is an ST6001 controller with an S3 base. I would need to purchase the wheel drive, rudder reference, and most of the wiring. My question is whether it is worth setting this unit up, or is it too old to invest that much money into? Also, is the rudder reference needed for this unit? I know it is best to have it, but is it required?
Thanks for your thoughts

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The key is the AP controller and how it integrates with you system. I have a ST6001+ and it works great.
Rudder reference is preferred. It is part of the feed back needed for control improvement.
Many things are "required".

I would go to Raymarine.com to download the manual for all "required" inputs.
Jim...

Sep 22, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol RI
Thanks Jim
I plan on connecting my C90 chartplotter and speed gauge (don't know the model) to it as well. Just more wires I need to purchase.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I have the 6001 with no rudder reference and a Mark I wheeldrive, only input is the fluxgate.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Fly By Night old systems can work if they are still functioning. Jim is a case in point...;)

Only issues you face is solving the compatibility issues. For the most part solvable. They may not work as fluidly as the newer models. Fluxgate compasses have been around for years, they just have quirks that make them less reliable than the newer sensors.

Give it a try and keep us informed of your progress. Note folks still reassemble and use Model T's just for fun.

Sep 22, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol RI
Only issues you face is solving the compatibility issues. For the most part solvable. They may not work as fluidly as the newer models.

All the gauges and plotter are about the same vintage, so I'm thinking they should integrate pretty smoothly.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have an advantage there. The incompatibility was the decision of the manufacturers to protect their turf by using proprietary systems. Either using unique plugs to connect pieces, their own wiring colors, confusing positive and negative connections, differing baud rates, etc. These have been figured out and you should find the hacks somewhere in the archives of this forum or perhaps others.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
From what I've read it is almost impossible to fit a rudder sensor on the C30. If you do figure it out, let me know.
I second going to the Raymarine Forum for details and answers.
Good luck with the install.