Old Versus New

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Falk

What is the difference between the 1996 model and the newer ones? Is the concept different and is the saftey any different? How about the 2003 model; any ideas about changes? What exactly are the changes that have been made over the years and are they significant? I am thinking of buying a Mac26x but get a little confused about year models and changes that have been made.

C

Captain Kimo

1999 Models and beyond Best Buy

I have a 1996 MacGregor 26X. The weakest link during the years before 1999 has been in the steering system. In 1999 the Rack and Pinion steering system was introduced with a change to a higher steering pedestle to accomodate the mechanism. Also the rudder system was changed to Stainless Steel rudder brackets in place of the cast aluminum ones. The shape of the rudder were also changed to longer ones with a shorter width fore and aft. All these and many other changes are listed on the companies site: www.macgregor .com. I personally believe comments made on the various MacGregor lists and customer complaints have caused the company to make these changes to creat an even better boat. The greatest thing has been, all these changes have been made with only a $2000 increase in price from the 1996 base price. The MacGregor 26X is still the best value for money on the market. No other "power/sailer" even comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.