old style West Marine Go-Anywhere seats

Jun 28, 2014
Hunter Passage 456 Harrison Twp MI
I'd really like to find 2 of these, the new ones are HORRID. Can anyone help? Thanks ~ Carolyn

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Carolyn: are you referring to the seats that West was selling about 10 years ago that stored folded in half and sold for about $50 new? If so, I haven't seen one of those for years. I thought those were clearly inferior to the Sport-a-Seats, both in comfort and durability, although because they folded completely in half, the West was sure easier to store and carry around. Anyway, it seems that West replaced those seats with a model that is much closer to the Sport-a-Seat in looks and function.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Jun 28, 2014
They didn't fold completely in half

Carolyn: are you referring to the seats that West was selling about 10 years ago that stored folded in half and sold for about $50 new? If so, I haven't seen one of those for years. I thought those were clearly inferior to the Sport-a-Seats, both in comfort and durability, although because they folded completely in half, the West was sure easier to store and carry around. Anyway, it seems that West replaced those seats with a model that is much closer to the Sport-a-Seat in looks and function.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
And when they were flat they were the most comfortable thing you could imagine (nap time). I also haven't seen any for years. I miss them, they really added to the quality of life aboard! Thanks, Mike

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
And when they were flat they were the most comfortable thing you could imagine (nap time). I also haven't seen any for years. I miss them, they really added to the quality of life aboard! Thanks, Mike

I have to say that in the 15+ years I have owned my boat, I have bought many doohickeys, gadgets and whosamawhatsists, all in an effort to enhance the sailing experience. The only things that have ever really brought a smile to my wife's face have been the Sport-a-Seats. She really loves those things. She takes one to the foredeck to sack out while at anchor; she uses one in the cockpit to stretch out or to just get comfortable. If you haven't tried the Sport-a-Seat, I highly recommend it. The foam is thicker than the old West Marine seats, and I found it more comfortable. And there is no question that the frame and hinge mechanism are more robust. You do have to store them flat, there is no storage pocket, and they are more expensive, but I've had my Sport-a-Seats for over 10 years and aside from some wear in the Sunbrella covers, they are as comfortable and useful as the day I bought them.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i found the products difficult to stretch out on, as i am not a midget, but i love the seat as an augmentation of my 6 inch thick "sofa" on my transom.. 8 ft in length, but no headrest-- these make great headrest on the helmseat...
ps/..as i do not shop worst marine, i got mine free from a neighbor in san diego, and i will be recovering them to extend their lives.

Jun 28, 2014
Thanks again, Mike

I have to say that in the 15+ years I have owned my boat, I have bought many doohickeys, gadgets and whosamawhatsists, all in an effort to enhance the sailing experience. The only things that have ever really brought a smile to my wife's face have been the Sport-a-Seats. She really loves those things. She takes one to the foredeck to sack out while at anchor; she uses one in the cockpit to stretch out or to just get comfortable. If you haven't tried the Sport-a-Seat, I highly recommend it. The foam is thicker than the old West Marine seats, and I found it more comfortable. And there is no question that the frame and hinge mechanism are more robust. You do have to store them flat, there is no storage pocket, and they are more expensive, but I've had my Sport-a-Seats for over 10 years and aside from some wear in the Sunbrella covers, they are as comfortable and useful as the day I bought them.
I found some adjustable seats on eBay after all this time that actually look like they might be worth taking a gamble on. BUT, I can't find Sport-A-Seat after a Google search. Where might I find them?