Old Perko Brass Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Hi,

I recently bought a 1978 Catalina 27 in awesome shape that came with a Perko Brass lamp. Does anybody have a recommendation as to what type of fuel to burn in it?

Thanks for any info.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
anything from mineral oil to kerosene will burn in it..pix please....

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Not too good with this sort of thing. I loaded a picture of the lamp somewhere...don't really know where it will end up!

Attachments

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
looks a lot like ours, be sure to get the glass chimney and make sure you get the correct sized wick. We had a tough time finding the right size! Enjoy it!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It is designed for kerosene. The trickiest thing is getting a nice even curve on the burning end of the wick, kinda like a crescent moon, and trimming it frequently. With a well trimmed wick and keeping it burning without smoke (not too much wick up), it should be a great light/cabin warmer for a century or two.

Aug 10, 2011
none none Northern California
spend a little extra $$ for odorless lamp oil. In a small boat cabin smelly oil lamps can get bothersome pretty quick.
Enjoy!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Since the 70's, I've used 100% Mineral spirits in all of my kerosene appliances-stoves and lamps. Far better than today's kerosene.

As for the chimney- you can go to a WEST Marine store and pay a fortune, or you can go to a company called Van Dykes Restorers and get them for about 1/3 the West price, including shipping- Ask for the catalog- they have all sizes chimneys

http://www.vandykes.com/

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
liquid paraffin is available in walmart, last time i was in usa....read labels and find good stuff hidden in the most surprising places....

Status
Not open for further replies.