Old Motors

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Who has the oldest motor? My 1988 Capri came with an Evinrude, 4 hp., 2 stroke, 2 cylinder outboard.
Probably the original.

Still runs great. I always use hi-test gas and a 50/1 gas/oil mixture. Very light --- 35 lbs.

Anybody have one older?

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I'm running an 83 evinrude yachtwin on my S2, :) It is ALSO original.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Wow, you all have some pretty old 2 strokes. Do they run at idle and part throttle ? One way an old 2 stroke shows its age is rubber seals hardening letting air into the motor, then it runs flat out but no where inbetween.
Wooster w/ a 2002 mercury single cylinder 2 stroke

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
tools along nicely at idle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJjADV_nUE

Oh note, that was first startup after winter storage, running in my horses water trough (no they weren't happy about it, and I had to clean the trough afterward)... I had just replaced the impeller and was testing it.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Back to my 87 Evinrude. Runs pretty good. I always use HIGH-TEST gas in it. Not sure what the previous owned used.
If she ever dies, then I think I would get a Tohatsu 5 with the alternator on it ( for battery charging). But my $15 solar charger seems to be doing the trick keeping my lawn tractor battery fully charged.

Last year I replaced my running lights with complete LED assemblies. Great. Didn't have to play with cleaning contacts on the bulbs. I ran a little late the other night and when I turned the lights on -- THEY CAME ON!

Check the machine screws and nuts holding the front cleats on. On both my Capri 22's ( 297 & 427) some were loose.

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Just a word about alternators on outboards if you would then....

The alternator is usually useless unless you are running WOT... They can provide an actual load on the system while idle, or even off, depending on the brand. So it works, but you must use the motor likely different than you are used to. Hang onto that solar panel is what I am saying. Always good to throw a disconnect switch in from the motor as well.

Jul 17, 2013
I also have a Honda BF5A 4-stroke, but mine is from the early 90s. I wish I could say it runs like a champ. If I am all set to leave the dock and "something" comes up, it's almost always the outboard. The last few years it's been carb problems. This year it's the starter - the starter gearwheel keeps over-riding the flywheel and jamming when I try to start the outboard. Had hoped it was going to be an isolated problem, but no such luck. Now replacing the entire starter assembly, and wondering what will come up next…

On the plus side, I've had the chance to practice sailing onto the dock a few times, which is a good skill to practice I suppose!

Charlie