Old Mariner acquires an OLD MARINER

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron

We recently acquired an old (Class No. 781) Mariner. Does anyone have photos, product literature etc. regarding this boat? The boat hull was blue (now faded white) and is in rather sound condition. The port seat fiberglass needs repair, the cuddy has nothing to cover the opening, the plywood at the base of the cuddy opening needs replacement and other smaller repairs are needed. That is why we need photos that show how this model looked when new. Also need a template or photo of the rudder as ours has been poorly repaired. Any help out there???

D

Don

Check These Resources

Ron, a very knowledgeable gentleman on another O'Day website, answered a question recently from another sailor with a mariner. I am including the body of text from his answer. Hope it helps. "Bob, I assume that what you are looking at is a Mariner 2+2? If so, she is 19' 2" loa 17' 9" lwl beam 7' 0" draft: bd/up 10" bd/dn 4' 11" unless it is the fixed keel version, then draft: 3' 3" Sail area: 185 sq ft. trailering weight: 1366# (approx.) The Mariner is the cabin version of the Rhodes 19 and although now built with a different deck design, both boats are still in production. You should check out the Mariner Class Association web-site for more info and pictures. Parts are no problem, since you can get them through both D&R Marine and Stuart Marine. Stuart is the builder of the present Mariner and Rhodes 19. D&R Marine is a small company run by Rudy Nickerson (former Parts Dept. Manager for O'Day) in Assonet, Ma. Phone# for Rudy is 508-644-3001, fax 508-644-3002 Phone for Stuart Marine: 207-594-5515 (Maine) Hope this helps! Rod Johnson,"SUNBIRD" Good luck with you search for information on this fine vintage craft. Don

A

Andre Cornelis

Mariner Comparison

Hi Ron, I am restoring a '67 Mariner that was very original, and very neglected, when I required it. If you need any help email me with questions at ATHLC@msn.com

W

win

Oldie But Goodie O'Day Mariner

Ron, My boat's sail number is 720 so your boat and mine are of about the same vintage. The cuddy's cover was canvas which clipped to the inside of the arched cuddy roof and to the wooden bulkhead that separates the cockpit from the cabin. There was a zippered "door" that could be used to close off the two areas. I still have mine but it no longer fits (shrunk with age, just like us). I was thinking of closing the opening with 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick plywood but the wife vetoed the idea. If you don't already have a pattern of the wooden part of the rudder, give me a shout and I can send you a tracing of mine. Since my boat was used, many of the internal parts may have been replaced by a previous owner. The sink was missing so I built a counter top and use that space for the butane stove and junk storage. I removed the head and had the hull opening sealed. In view of the no raw sewage overboard rule common today, it didn't make much sense to fix the head and leave it in, especially since it is illegal to use it in any of the waters that I intended to sail. In place of the head, we have a porta-pottie. It works, but not the most convenient to use because of the lack of headroom. Incidently, if you trailer your boat to lakes located at higher elevations than where you started, be sure that the first thing you do before using the porta-pottie is to cycle the dump valve to let out the low altitude higher pressure air. Stuart Marine has quite an assortment of parts for the O'Day Mariner but, as all things marine, they are not inexpensive. Hope this helps. Aloha, win

Status
Not open for further replies.