Old bilge blower wiring question.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I took out my circa 1980 bilge blower to clean up the wiring and re-install it closer to alternator. There is no sticker on it anymore so i have no idea what the specs are or what blower it is. It looks pretty much identical to the new Jabsco blowers, however...it has a single blue and a single yellow wire coming from the motor. I briefly connected it to a 12 volt battery on the bench and it seems to work perfectly well and identical in power and airflow direction when wired with either wire connected to either the positive or negative terminal. Im going to assume it doesnt matter then which wire goes to either terminal, but want to check first to see if anyone knows whether or not it makes any difference internally to the blower?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yellow is typically hot (+) and blue is "neutral" ... since you only have two I would assume neutral = negative (-).

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Yellow is typically hot (+) and blue is "neutral" ... since you only have two I would assume neutral = negative (-).
Thank you good to know. I shall wire it yellow to hot. Unfortunately the wires have been disconnected for some time so i was not able to trace how it was originally connected.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You should see some form of ⇒ on the fan housing to show the direction of air flow. If there is, that will determine your wiring.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While true, sometimes there are also Black (neg) plus Red (Pos), Red (pos) plus yellow (neg), and purple plus orange (which happens because the electrical assembler was color-blind and just grabbed whatever was in the bin).

I would think that the fan motor would turn in different directions based on the polarity of the wires. For its intended use, stir up the air in the bilge, I am not sure it really matters. If you want to pump air in or pull air out, then you will need a venting hose for that purpose.