old and new batteries connection

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
Please kindly express opinions re connecting old and new batteries.
my electrician connected one new c31 AGM to the 'apparently still good' ten years old 4D for house. Probably he couldn't remove and replace that heavy brute in the confine space.
I read that it'll damage the new battery.
Any suggestions?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
A 10 year old battery tied to the new AGM is a perfect way to kill the new one. Bite the bullet and scrap the old.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
And when you do, do not replace it with another 4D. Not only are they beasts to move, but they are not true deep cycle batteries.

Also do some research on whether or not AGMs are the proper candidate for your use.

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice (from Maine Sail)

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
Darn AGM Batteries

Additional Observations on the Limits of AGMs Electrical Systems 101

Good luck.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
l am in complete agreement with everyone. only two exceptions.
1.boat electrician are impossible to find here and now. one even charge $300 an hr.
2. disconnect the old 4D leaving those leads. can I just take up the red and black separately and it's ok?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
l am in complete agreement with everyone. only two exceptions.
1.boat electrician are impossible to find here and now. one even charge $300 an hr.
2. disconnect the old 4D leaving those leads. can I just take up the red and black separately and it's ok?
Remove the un-used cables until needed for two reasons:
The potential for a short no amount of tape can eliminate, and
Good time to clean the contacts.
Also, I infer from the comment that there are two cables going to the old battery (red and black). If so, it isn’t wired correctly in a manner to equally carry the load on both parallel batteries.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
tks all again. most helpful and almost most timely too. very good helpful group.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
And when you do, do not replace it with another 4D. Not only are they beasts to move, but they are not true deep cycle batteries.

Also do some research on whether or not AGMs are the proper candidate for your use.

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice (from Maine Sail)

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
Darn AGM Batteries

Additional Observations on the Limits of AGMs Electrical Systems 101

Good luck.
tks for the info will reassess AGM... but no more 4D for sure. Still trying to get paid muscles to remove that one.