Old AC compressor used for Refrigerator?

Jun 1, 2019
Oday 30 Saugatuck
Hello all- I may have one for you:

My old 1980 Oday 30 once had a compressor hooked up the the fridge. I bought the boat long after the old compressor was removed. Now we just put a bag of ice in the fridge to keep things cool for the weekend.

I have a new compressor from an air conditioning unit I’ve never used. Is it possible to use the air conditioning compressor as the new compressor for the fridge?

Possible issues:
1. Compressors for different purposes are at different speeds and may not use the same refrigerant.
2. Compressor will be located in the lazerette and it gets really hot in there next to the engine. (But that’s where the old one was)
3. Is it even possible to connect them?
4. If connection is made, how would I fill with refrigerant and what kind?

Attached are pictures of the fridge and thermostat, the coils in the lazerette, and the AC compressor. Any advice you have would be appreciated as always.

info on compressor:
Quingan
115V
60Hrtz
IMG_1397.jpeg
IMG_1396.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think you've covered the biggest concerns well. I don't know refrigeration systems well enough to speculate on the answers, but I would add one additional concern that an AC compressor is likely much higher capacity than a fridge (probably by a couple thousand watts), which might not bode well. At a minimum the AC compressor will be quite inefficient, and you won't be able to run it away from the dock. At worst that mismatch could cause other problems and harm either the compressor or fridge system.

• Helpful
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A 2x2' dorm fridge only draws around .5-1 amp after it starts. This compressor looks like one that was in my APC air conditioner (same brand/style). That one drew upwards of 30A when it started on 220v. I'm guessing it'd be easier and cheaper to take a dorm fridge apart and use the components in your boat. While a DC system would be more efficient, it can certainly run off of a low cost inverter