okay.. how bout tires for the one millionth time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

Tires

use any tires you want, a 2800 lbs boat will not over load almost any tires on the market, even most car tires, have a weight rating starting around 1800 lbs each, if you get into truck tires they go up from there

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bias Ply are best.

Tom: You really want to stay with bias ply tires. Stay away from radial tires. I think you will find that bias ply tires will help eliminate some of the sway that you may get. They are usually rated for higher loads too.

T

tomD

truck tires are not trailer tires

There is a code on the side of a tire that gives you alot of information on trailer tires. They are ranked P for passenger, LT for light truck, and ST for trailer tires. Trailer tires are by far the toughest with full rated 6 ply walls. They don't flex much--inflate them to maximum air pressure because the flexing causes them to overhead and separate. They come in Load ranges ABC and D, get range C for your uses, that's about 1800#/tire. Stay away from any other tire, they'll blow and in some states and provinces, if you're caught at an inspection you'll be taken off the road--thye're dangerous. Trailer tires are usually constructed as bias ply but not always--just be sure you get ST load range C or D and inflate them hard and all will be fine.

B

Bob

tomD is on the money

Trailers tend to weave, which is apparently very hard on sidewalls. Thus trailer tires are built to withstand this sideways force much better than other kinds of tires. Load rating is important, but sidewall strength is just as critical. Don't endanger yourself (and me) by saving a few bucks with automobile tires.

T

tomD

tires and fried bearings

Flexing sidewalls due to underinflation or the wrong tire generates alot of heat. The heat transfers to the rim, then to the hub, then the bearings. Often it is assumed the bearing went and then the rim got hot. Not always so. A few pumps of grease after haulout is cheap insurance but will not protect against the wrong tires. I have 14 inch trailer tires on a Trailrite trailer for my C-22 Mk2 and run them at 50 psi. They are full 6 ply bias tires. When you price out trailer tires tye are quite expensive compared to a P or LT rated tire, the reason is because they are alot tougher in construction.

E

ET Sawyer

dont skimp

if you drag her more than 15 miles or so go ahead with the trailer black walls. If you go in salt water either paint every 2 years or spend the extra 10 bucks on the dipped galv. rims. we lost the zig zag on the maiden voyage due to bad beads on the rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.