oil & trans fluid info needed Hunter Marlow 37

Pat T

Feb 15, 2009
Catalina 36MKII Waukegan, IL
I am going to help my friend change the fluids on his boat saving him some bucks since the yard wants to charge approx. $270!!
I asked him to get the info and per his documents came up with a yanmar 29 HP engine and or something made by Faryman Diesel needing 1.5 liters of 10-40W? Obviously the engine uses more oil? Can any owners out there give me info on this boat/engine? I would rather not have to go out to look first hand. Need to confirm oil type and capacity. Also trans fluid type & capacity. Believe it is 2016 year boat. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It would help if we had more specific information. Boat brand, engine brand; Yanmar and Farymann represent different brand engines. Number of cylinders determines engine oil volume. Bell housing should have a plate that specifies transmission lubricate; either engine oil or ATF. Anything else would be a SWAG.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yanmar is probably the main engine and the Farimann is probably the generator engine.. oil for the engines is likely 15W 40 diesel motor oil, like Rotella .. without model numbers, as Terry says, the filters and trans oil would be a SWAG.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I am going to help my friend change the fluids on his boat saving him some bucks since the yard wants to charge approx. $270!!
I asked him to get the info and per his documents came up with a yanmar 29 HP engine and or something made by Faryman Diesel needing 1.5 liters of 10-40W? Obviously the engine uses more oil? Can any owners out there give me info on this boat/engine? I would rather not have to go out to look first hand. Need to confirm oil type and capacity. Also trans fluid type & capacity. Believe it is 2016 year boat. Thanks.
The owner should have the engine manual with all that info.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
this sounds like one of those ED ads where “I’m asking for a friend”. :)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
29hp Yanmar would be 3YM30, approx. 4.6 litres Rotella T 15W 40. Trans would depend if saildrive or straight shaft. Makes a difference. Tell him to check his documents more thoroughly, all that info is in the manuals.

Oct 29, 2018
Hunter MH37 Mississauga
The MH37 has either a Yanmar 29hp or 39hp engine. The 39hp is a 3JH5E. Both the 29 and 39 hp are attached to a Saildrive using the same oil. The 39hp uses 15W40 or 10w30 Diesel oil depending on the operating temperature range of your sailing area; use 10w30 for colder climates. You can use standard, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oils; price is your major criteria since the oil should be changed at least annually and well before it will ever reach the end of its operating life. The engines needs 4.6 L and the saildrive needs 2.8 L.

The fact that the owner doesn’t know these things likely means that this is either the first time changing the oils on the engine/drive (yikes!), or they’ve always had someone do it for them. Suggest if the latter they continue to get a professional to do it or open the manuals and learn to do it right.

All the manuals are available on Yanmar’s website.