Oil shortage

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
While cruising I’ve been doing my oil changes at the regular intervals, but now I can’t get the Rotella T-3. The NAPA salesman said I’ll need to use Rotella T-4 synthetic because the T-3 is history. Will my old Perkins engine understand?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There seems to be a nationwide shortage of Rosella in any version. I switched to the semi-synthetic because that was all I could find. I don't think there will an issue except my wallet is not about $5 lighter than if I had been able to find T-3.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A premium quality conventional 15w40 is available from Mobil (Delvac) and from Chevron.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
For my fall oil change I was able to get the usual Rotella but only in a gallon, not the usual quarts. I thought that was odd, but now I’m glad I was able to get it.

Jan 11, 2014
Just get the manufacturer's recommended viscosity for your engine Marine Engine Oil: Synthetic or Conventional? - Boat Trader Blog
The author of that article needs to do his homework a little better. He states, "Synthetic oil, which has no carbon, leaves no deposits." This is grossly inaccurate. Synthetic oil is based on carbon, just not based on "mineral oil" or derived directly from crude oil. The chemists here can weigh in more specifically on the chemistry.

There are advantages to synthetic oils as they can be blended for specific applications. For more info see:

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When the term "organic" first came out as a synonym for "chemical free"... I about had an aneurysm. Especially "organic salt". :facepalm:

I thought it would be a fad but... I had to get over it.

Jan 11, 2014
When the term "organic" first came out as a synonym for "chemical free"... I about had an aneurysm. Especially "organic salt". :facepalm:

I thought it would be a fad but... I had to get over it.
A few years ago we were headed to Mt Desert Is in Maine. On the main road was a big sign: "Organic Firewood!"

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
OK, I’m buying some T-4 since I have a source locally. Eventually someone else will try to convince me to use olive oil with some additives. Motoring will get me hungry for Caesar salad.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Like rgranger just stated….I went crazy when, I recently went through the same reaction when I purchased a generator for my home. The break in period stated…”must be run using conventional 10W-30 oil, for 5 hours“(supplied by the manufacture). Then drain and use 5W-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic oil . OH NO NEVER!
Every fiber in my body went nuts. I stiffened up like a board. In my world that was never ever done. I called the manufacturer and spoke with everyone I could to see if that can be done….Well live and learn. It’s is done now! But I did let that oil drain for a whole day before adding the synthetic.
I did it and truth be known, the generator started easier and runs great.
But after reading this posting I’m going out and getting some Rotella T, if I can find it now. You can store oil longer today than you could before but not too much longer.
Oh the changes we all have to endure.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Is there any other kind? :biggrin:
Presto Logs, a wax and sawdust candle compressed into the shape of a log, all the ambience of a fire without the nasty byproducts like smoke or HEAT. :what:
"Firewood Guy" brought them for a group campout at 9000' in the Sierras, marshmallows tasted like birthday candles.

Last edited:
  • Ha
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On a related note.... a few years back Quaker marketed a gluten free ver$ion of their oatmeal on the shelf right next to their normal oatmeal. So the biochemist in me went mental. For those of you who don't know, gluten is a wheat protein. :banghead:

Last edited:
  • Helpful

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Thread drift: oats don't have gluten but they often come into contact with wheat on the farm, gluten free oatmeal ensures there is no contact (my daughter is gluten intolerant, even a little bit makes her very ill).

Last edited: