Oil Pressure Westerbeke 10 Two

Jul 2, 2013
ODay 272 LE Cottage
Hello all, I have an 86' O'day 272 with an apparent oil leak. The oil pressure barely gets above 5psi, there is oil underneath the engine and a faint continuous alarm emits as soon as you turn on the key. I've looked for signs of a leak around the Rocker cover gasket and the Head cylinder and gasket but there are no traces of oil running down from those locations.
My questions:
Has anyone out there experienced a similar issue with oil pressure?
How do you begin to search for the root cause of the problem?
How did you correct the oil pressure problem?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
You probably have a dual sender, pressure and alarm - in the same sender.
I'd check that first.
How many hours on the engine?
It's likely that the oil leak is not related to the pressure, unless it is leaking from the sender or the oil filter, in which case it would be spewing if it were enough to reduce pressure. I'm assuming the oil pan is kept full.
When was the last time the oil and filter were changed?
What color/consistency is the oil?
Describe the rate at which the oil is leaking.
Of course don't run the motor until you find the problem.

Jul 2, 2013
ODay 272 LE Cottage
I believe there is a sender and an alarm switch. I changed the oil and filter last spring, the oil is topped up and it's still a golden brown colour. I'll have to check the exact hrs. It's not possible to monitor the rate of the leak because I don't know it's location, however there is oil under the engine. I'll check the sender tonight. Thanks

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I believe there is a sender and an alarm switch. I changed the oil and filter last spring, the oil is topped up and it's still a golden brown colour. I'll have to check the exact hrs. It's not possible to monitor the rate of the leak because I don't know it's location, however there is oil under the engine. I'll check the sender tonight. Thanks
I'll assume that the amount of oil under the engine is not an amount that would indicate a pressurized leak. IE: puddles and quarts.
Yes, based on your oil and filter status description, and the apparent suddenness of the issue, I'm highly suspicious of the sender. But would not rule out a faulty filter.

Just estimate the hours. 1,000? 3,000?
Although I'm less interested in that now, given the symptoms. Loss of oil pressure due to wear is a gradual process.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
google Westerbeke oil leak, on the salient community you'll find:

Rick486

Brings back memories. I had a Westerbeke 4-107 in my P39 for years, then re-powered with a brand new Perkins 4-108. Both were great engines and neither one ever let me down. But you know what? They both leaked oil constantly from the bottom of the bell housing, which I assumed was the rear main seal. I just lived with it and kept fresh oil absorbers beneath the leaking spot all the time. Guess the Brits just can't keep oil in an engine. Sounds like yours might be a bit more though. Good luck with the fix.

Find any good suppliers for your engine? ($) I have the same.....and .....the same leak. However, it was leak free the first fifteen years. I am going to try the rear seal again this winter, and would appreciate any tips...