Oil Pressure/Temp Alarm

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
Is there any other place other than CD where I can purchase the oil pressure/high temperature alarm? Mine is starting to sound pretty sick. They want $28 btw.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Are you talking about the piezeo buzzer? You can get them on Amazon. But typically a poor signal sound is caused by a bad ground. Do you still have all the grounds stacked on a lug on the engine near the head wall?

If so, consider adding a negative buss bar at the engine and cleaning up the connections. Don't forget the dielectric grease.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Jesse, I've noticed that the connectors do have an impact on the volume of the alarm.
Mine ran for 8 hours straight earlier in the season due to faulty oil pressure switch and thought this might have ruined its vocal chords...

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
To test if you need a new soanalert, remove the one you have and connect across a 24Volt battery. It should produce 110 dB sound about 1000Hz.
The price of $28.00 is about right.
Also visit digi-key.com to compare the prices.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
To test if you need a new soanalert, remove the one you have and connect across a 24Volt battery. It should produce 110 dB sound about 1000Hz.
The price of $28.00 is about right.
Also visit digi-key.com to compare the prices.
Why 24V rather than a 12V battery? I assume it normally is powered by 12V when it alarms?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
On my C36 it is 24 V. I guess because it is in series with the fuel pump coil. I am not sure how your circuit is. Check the electrical diagram and check the soanalert itself. You can also read the voltage while it is producing sound. Yours may need 12V instead.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Why 24V rather than a 12V battery? I assume it normally is powered by 12V when it alarms?

I would ask the same question, if 2 loads are in series, the voltage would be less across each device. I imagine a worn out buzzer would scream if 24v was applied! But not for long......then the magical smoke that makes the noise would be released.....

Cheers
dj

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL

I would ask the same question, if 2 loads are in series, the voltage would be less across each device. I imagine a worn out buzzer would scream if 24v was applied! But not for long......then the magical smoke that makes the noise would be released.....

Cheers
dj
I believe the buzzer is rated up to 24V, it is not getting 24V.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I just replaced the alarm with one from Catalina Direct.
This has two sounds in one horn. Beep continuous and a beep chirping sound.

paulj
:hook2:

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Good point. When I replaced my sonalert, the new one was rated 12v and sounded much better than the old one, which was rated 24v and sounded pitiful. The new one came from CD. No explanation for the discrepancy in voltage ratings.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
On the Catalina 310 you can rest the solenoid without removing it. But you need two people or alligator clip ends for your multimeter.

Take the multimeter and ground the back to the engine or a known ground. Then touch the starboard side terminal on the solonoid with your positive lead from the MM. This should read close to the battery voltage. Now touch the positive lead to the port side terminal on the solonoid. This should read zero or close to it. Now have someone turn the engine key all the way forward, it should now read close to battery voltage.

Good luck.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I cannot hear as well as I used to. I added a boat horn to the sender. That horn will wake the dead if the motor overheats. Take a positive lead from the key switch (on terminal) and connect the horn negative to the sender (over-temp switch) terminal. The sender switch closes the ground side of the circuit to the motor. This will not affect the existing circuit or buzzer alarm.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Roy, just make sure that the load (amps) of the horn do not exceed the contact rating on the sender unit.
Cheers
dj