Oil Pressure Gauge

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
PLZ, On my H376 (1997), my Oil Pressure Gauge arrow doesn't move off of " 0 " at low RPMs. Have to "goose"/rev-up throttle to get it to register at highest mark. Whislt in gear it may stay low until I get above 25-2800 RPMs, then flips to high. BUT, if cruising at @ 2800 RPMs, gauge may fluctuate back & forth between 40 & 80, or drop back to "0" for some time. And, then may go back to 80 (????) However, NO ALARMS go off (???) How diagnose & fix problem, so gauge is more accurate? Afraid engine might "seize" (??) Many Thanx, MRF

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You will need to slap an oil pressure gauge directly on the sender port at the engine. It will confirm that the sender is working correctly. Don't guess, verify.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with Gunni..verify.. dollars at risk ..
symptoms sound mostly like a bad connection somewhere in the circuit, between hot lead and ground.. or a bad sender.. The oil pressure alarm switch is typically a very low set alarm.. I don't know your engine, but on the GM series, that switch alarms at something less than 4 PSI.. It should alarm when the engine is not running and the key is "ON"

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the connections and make sure they are clean and tight. If the problem persists replace the gauge. Like Kloudie indicates with the engine Off and the key switch On the alarm should sound. If it stops when the engine is On then you should have oil pressure. It is indeed a good idea to test the new gauge by connecting at the sensor as a drop in voltage in the existing wiring could also give erratic readings. If with the new gauge you still experience large fluctuations then it is time for a mechanical tear down. (head gasket, pick up screen mesh, oil lines and connections and the pump itself). Check for oil leaks and for any mixing of oil and cooling fluids. Hope is just some dirty connections or a bad gauge but had to cover the gamma of possibilities.

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
Everyone, Many Thanx. An alarm does sound when engine is off, but key is on. I'll have to pay closer attention which alarm(s) is sounding. There are alarm lights, too. The engine is a Yamaha 3JH2E. I'll follow all of y'all's suggestions and see what I can find. 2Bcontinued......... Thanx, MRF

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Everyone, Many Thanx. An alarm does sound when engine is off, but key is on. I'll have to pay closer attention which alarm(s) is sounding. There are alarm lights, too. The engine is a Yamaha 3JH2E. I'll follow all of y'all's suggestions and see what I can find. 2Bcontinued......... Thanx, MRF
Yes there are lights and both oil pressure and alternator charge should be On when you turn the key. All lights and alarm buzzer should go Off when the engine is started. Was that oil pressure gauge properly working before, never worked properly or is it a recent addition? The sensor and the gauge must be compatible; have seen some attempt to adapt an automotive gauge to the OEM sensors which did not work.

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
Benny 17441, Thanx. Lights and Alarm go Off when engine starts. Gauge goes up to 80. I have had this problem, off on on, for a few ( @ 5 yrs.). Sometimes goes back to " 0 " at 1000 Idle. A couple of years ago, when the gauge was erratic, I discovered a loose connection of nut on Sender. A Tech is going to check out Sender Pressure, connections, etc. tomorrow per y'all's recommendations. MANY THANX, 2BCont....... MRF