Oil Mystery

Aug 24, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 321 321 Little River, SC
I changed the oil today on my Yanmar 17hp Diesel engine and was only able to get about a liter of oil out of it. I changed the oil filter and put in just under 3 liters of oil which is the engine capacity and cannot get any oil to register on the dipstick. I ran the engine a good 6 minutes before the oil change. I can’t find an oil leak anywhere. I’m afraid to put too much oil in and yet I can’t get any to register on the dipstick after putting in what should be more than enough. The engine starts right up and runs like a top. I just don’t understand it. Any ideas what’s going on here?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Does it have the right dipstick? This is engine oil, not transmission right? You sure it's only a 17HP engine?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The 2GM20 takes under 2 quarts I think, with a filter.

Need to know what engine you have in your 321.

Greg

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Did someone change the oil pan or move the filter or customize some part of the oil system.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
A dumb question maybe but are you sure the dipstick is pushed all the way in ? Sometimes the rubber seal prevents it from being inserted correctly which gives you a false reading or no reading at all. Questions raised in posts above are also very good.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
is the motor inclined so the dipstick is toward the "shallow" end of the oil pan? Most boat motors are inclined 'rear down" so the dipstick will read wrong all the time. Important to know is what your dipstick looks like after adding the correct amount of oil. My boats all had dipstick error due to not being level.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
When extracting oil some extraction hoses fit tight in the dip stick hole leaving little room for air. I always open oil fill when extracting oil.

and as was said, did you make sure dip stick slid all the way down and rubber seat fit in tube?

good luck
Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
All good responses. I have a 2GM20F in my 323 and it takes slightly more than 2 quarts. I normally don’t add more oil than I can drain out of the pan because of the inclined mount position. I would caution you regarding overfilling as crankshaft rotation would cause the oil to foam and thats not a good thing.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Dumb question, and I'm not trying to insult you: are you sure you poured the oil into the right part of the engine? Into the valve cover on top of the engine and not into the coolant tank, transmission, or anywhere else? Is your bilge full or oil?

Good luck!
Barry

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Dumb question, and I'm not trying to insult you: are you sure you poured the oil into the right part of the engine? Into the valve cover on top of the engine and not into the coolant tank, transmission, or anywhere else? Is your bilge full or oil?

Good luck!
Barry
Ya gotta ask. There's no practical reason why pouring 3 liters in a 2 liter capacity engine wouldn't show up on the stick. Haven't heard back from the OP

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Another dumb question, are you sure you would be able to see the oil on the dip stick? It will be black when you take it out but it goes in a much more clear tawny color. I sometimes have trouble finding it on the dipstick when I first fill it.