oil for yanmar 3gm30F

Status
Not open for further replies.

redege

Jun 29, 2012
beneteau oceanis 351 queensland
Just bought my first boat. Loving it and getting to know it! My question is the yanmar has Shell Rimula R3 X 15-40 as it's oil. Should I continue using this oil or am I better of to change to something else? Engine seems to run fine, and only a bit of smoke on max rpm..
thanks!

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
A few years ago I did a fairly thorough search for the best oil for my motorcycle. I came up with Shell Rotella T, as being an excellent choice. Motorcycles, yes, but not cars with catalytic converters, as the zinc additive in the Rotella will destroy the converter.

Rotella T has been my favorite for my Yanmar as well. It's readily available, priced decently, and is excellent oil.

I attended a diesel seminar this spring and asked the instructor whether I should be using regular or synthetic. He recommended the regular, and that's what I'm using.

I had never heard of the Rimula before. A little searching on the net indicated that Rotella T is the better product. I use the 15-40.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Always read the back of the bottle to be sure, it will say if its for heavy duty diesels and list several manufacturers whose specs its satisfies. Your looking for CAT, MACK, CUMMINS, heavy duty diesel satisfaction. Agree with 15/40. Change it at least annually with the filter.

Oil is constantly changing these days, especially as the EPA continues to force manufacturers to reduce or completely remove key elements and compounds that have been used since the beginning of time to reduce wear, so it pays to keep researching. Whats good for our engines today may not be so tomorrow.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Texaco Ursa is what I think Yanmar wants to see you use. You may look into that and see what you can find.

redege

Jun 29, 2012
beneteau oceanis 351 queensland
thanks, I'll check that out too, some of these oils might be called different here in Oz though..

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Might try Chevron Delo15w40. Also look for CD rating. That also indicates a diesel HD oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.