Oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Does anyone have any good tricks for changing oil without having to pump and bend down, and making a damn mess. I have tried everything I can think of, and still not satisfied. Have used the little hand pumps, the drill driven pumps, and rigged up a deal to use a shop vac. All work to some extent, but none are really satisfactory. I have problems with all of them. First is I always manage to get a few drops of black oil, where it doesn't belong. And I am getting too old to physically get down for any period of time.
My only other idea is to pull the oil pan, and put a drain plug in it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Other than a fitted electrical pump to the oil pan, the best manual system I've seen is one of those hand pumps permanently installed to a hose connected to the hose on the oil pan, with the pump tied to the sidewall of the engine compartment. Same components, but always "mounted" requiring less jiggling of parts when the time comes.

I use a hand pump connected to the oil hose. It's a PITA, but for the number of times I do it a year, I can live with it.

wetass

Mar 9, 2011
CS 36T Seattle
Mostly use one of those little Jabsco hand pumps as well -http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=119597&keywords=oil+pump - but this year purchased a Pela vacuum extractor: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=195753&keywords=oil+pump

Haven't decided it the vacuum one was worth it yet. You just pump it 20 times (which is quick and easy) then walk away while it sucks the oil out over the next several minutes. It works, but is another bulky piece of equipment I have to remember to take down to the boat when I want to change oil.

Would love to have a dedicated permenantly mounted hand pump like Stu talks about, but until I pull the motor, I dont see retrofitting one in the near future.

eliems

Apr 26, 2011
Hunter H28 Port Moody
My neighbour offered to do it for $15/hour! I think I will take him up on it.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
oil change

This setup is a beauty, I changed oil last week, 10 minute operation. Old engine I basically had to dump it into the bilge then clean it up. One year I tried this pump dohicky my engine ate the 3' hose into the dipstick. Iam guessing that old Renault 2 banger turned the rubber back into petro....You can buy these setups from beta or a couple of other manufacturers, hardest part will be attaching the new drain plug to the drain in your pan.You can mount the pump to the side of the engine bay... Red

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
12 Volt Pump

I have been using a 12 volt pump out that they sell at WM and yes pricey but it can pump most fluids like oil,diesel,and other fluids into a easy to use and empty out the plastic container for over 10 years,it uses a plastic tubing into the dipstick.
Nick

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
What I have been using

For a while I have been using a two gallon garden sprayer. Cut the nozzle off, and the stiff tubing will fit into the dipstick hole. Then rigged the hose from a shop vac to fit into the pump hole on top. If the oil is good and hot this works fairly well. But now I have extra stuff to keep on board, and there is no way to ever clean up the sprayer. As I typically am gone for a couple months or more at a time, and often need to change oil when out and about, need another and better system.
Also, I am now 73yo. and my back isn't too good. Bending over or squatting in front of an engine and pumping a little hand pump just ain't gonna work.
So I think I am going to pull the pan, and install some type of drain hose/ shut off valve arrangement. Possibly with an electric pump. Then can simply stick the hose into an empty gallon oil bottle, and turn things on. Cap the bottle when finished.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I use a Moeller Fulid Extractor. Our engine has an oil pan sump hose so that makes it even easier.. This spring I also added a remote oil filter that increased my oil capacity by about 1 quart, gave me more filtering sq in and made the job spill less.. Takes me all of about 10 minutes start to finish. The longest part is cleaning up the pump hose but I do that at home and carry it coiled up in a Tupperware container to and fro..

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I bought a vacuum oil extractor from WM last week after seeing several dock neighbors use them. Very easy to use and much quicker than the little hand pump I was using.

Status
Not open for further replies.