oil change pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walt

I tossed away my old trusty Jabsco hand operated oil changing suction pump after my last oil change last fall. It had started to leak and my arms were wearing out. I've seen these new ones with a can that sits on the floor that you pump up and then turn on a suction valve. Would like to know if anyone has used one of these or has any recommendations for sucking oil out of a dip stick hole. Walt

K

Keith

Oil punp

I bought one of the oil pumps that sit on the floor and you pump up a suction, about 25 strokes, stick the tube in the oil stick hole, (or in my case as is all catalinas, the tube from the bottom of the oil pan) and let the oil flow. Mine looks like an old blue gas can with a tire pump sticking out of it. It does a great job of getting the oil out and best of all is not messy at all. My big problem with it is that every one wants to borrow it all the time. I paid 29 bucks several years ago for it. Believe it is up to 39 now but still worth every penny.

D

Don

The Blue Can

I used every kind of method to pump oil from my A-4 on my previous boat to my M-35 on my new boat. After dumping quarts of oil and never seeming to get all the oil out I finally gave up and bought the Blue can that sits on the floor with a bicycle pump sticking out of it. Now I am Happy Happy Happy to change my oil, and I almost get it all out. I use it at home for my Lawnmower! and it can be used for other fluids as well. It is truly amazing but be careful you don't loose the gaskets and seals for the pump and the hose or you'll be out of luck-tion.

J

John Finch

Blue Can

I just used the blue can with the bicycle pump on my Catalina 30 (M25XP)this past Sunday. It was the best investment I've made in a while. When I was done, I poured the used oil from the can into the container that the new oil came in. Pretty slick! No oil on the carpet, no yelling wife, and one happy captain. Try it; You'll like it. John Finch s/v DOXOLOGY

B

Bob Camarena

Tempo Oil Boy

I just bought a Tempo Oil Boy from West Marine for $49.99. It's a few $ more than the "Blue Can" but has the advantage of your being able to see the oil level. It's cylindrical in shape and is very well made of a very sturdy plastic with an integral hand pump that doesn't need to be screwed on and off. It reminds me of some sort of scientific apparatus. It worked very well for me the one time I've used it. I compared it to the Blue Can in the store and there was no question which one I would buy.

G

Gary Jensen

easy task

My 380 came with an oil change pump. I simply turn a valve on the top and press a button.It has a hose that has to be placed in a waste container....Could not be any easier!!! My thanks to the former owner...

G

gary

oil pump

I took a electric fuel pump and hooked it up to the oil change hose coming out or the botton of our westerbeak 42 on a catalina 400. All I do is turn on the switch and put the hose a can. It gets rid of all the mess doing it that way. Gary and Loretta c-400 hull 10 Gldaniels@provide.net

M

Maya

Blue Oil Can??

So. . . where does one go about finding a nifty blue oil can with the bicycle pump?

R

Roger Noble

West Marine has'em

West Marine, and Boat US and Overtons and..... all carry several different oil pumps with integral tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.