Oil change in spring?

Feb 19, 2008
526
Catalina 320 Tawas Bay Yacht Club
Hey everyone,

Getting ready for haul out and laying up the boat for the winter.
Have a Westerbeke Diesel.

When I changed my oil in the spring, a friend told me that Fall would be much better … something about condensation maybe?
Im just curious about how much difference it makes, because suddenly I’m working a lot of hours and I‘m having trouble just moving the boat to winter storage and hauling out - I’m thinking non essential projects are being moved to April.

If it’s important to do it in fall, I‘ll probably have to have the boat yard do it.

Thanks,

John
 
Feb 10, 2004
4,247
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have always changed the oil and filter in the fall. I've been told that when the change is in the fall, the old oil with its contaminates and acids will be removed and the engine will sit with clean oil.

However, if the alternative is to pay a boat yard their exorbitant rates to do a simple oil change, then I would leave it for the spring. But going forward, I would definitely plan to do it in the fall.
 
Feb 26, 2004
23,500
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You could do it in mid-summer when yu can schedule the time to DIY. This way your oil will only be half-dirty for the winter. :beer:
 
Jan 4, 2013
298
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I use a vacuum pump to suck the oil out of my Westerbeke, it takes a whole 20 minutes to do. I change the filter every other year since I only put 10 hours a season on it. The filter sits on it side so half of the oil drains drains into the pan.
 
Jan 11, 2014
14,187
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It really depends on engine hours since the last oil change and the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. When the hours are close to the change interval, then change the oil in the fall. If the hours are really low, there is probably not enough acid or dirt to cause any damage. Change the filter with each oil change so the new oil isn't contaminated with old oil.

The filter sits on it side so half of the oil drains drains into the pan.
The filter on my Yanmar sits on its side and when it is removed it nearly full.

Finally, changing the oil in the fall gives you a reason to visit the boat one more time, "Honey, I really need to go to the boat today. The oil has to be changed or the damage to the engine will be catastrophic."
 

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
24,786
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The filter sits on it side so half of the oil drains drains into the pan.
I knew that challenge. Only the filter on my Perkins was hung on the front of the engine in its own metal container. A 1973 design for this modified tractor engine. When you unscrewed the bolt on the bottom the container of oil flooded into the bilge. I used a plastic bag to try and catch it. The process was always messy.

With the engine rebuild I transferred the oil filter off the engine. Now it is easy to access and the spin off filter contains the oil.
1791546622602.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes: Rich Stidger