Oil Change in H34 a real patience tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Brooks

Kinda stumped on this one but here goes, on a previous H34 that I owned it was no problem extracting the existing oil by using a manual hand pump. However on my new H34 (same year as my old one 1983) I placed the small tube in the dipstick orafice and as I tried to pump out the oil the pump handle would engage all the way up with much resistance as the oil would not proceed into the body of the pump. However as I extracted it slightly the small tube began to clear and a small amount of oil would then evacuate into the container I had to collect the oil. It felt as if a vacum was preventing the release of oil in the pan or the oil was so thick the small tube was not large enough to succesfully extract for an quick oil change. It took approximatley 1 hour to completely get the 2.7 liters out of the engine, Any suggestions.................

S

Stevec

I don't have a 34' but things I've found out....

Warm/hot oil is easier to suck up than cold oil.. If I remove the oil filler cap, it also is easier, and, on ocassion I must have pushed the tube in too much and it butted up to another flat surface such as the side of the oil pan, and that prevented the oil from entering the tube. I guess that you could also have sucked up some kind of debris, but I shudder to think that that could be your problem.

D

Dick McKee

Cut yur pickup tube..

at an angle across the end. It will help to prevent the tube from butting against a flat surface as mentioned by Stevec..

K

Ken Palmer

Copper tube

I have a small length (about 1 foot) of small diameter copper tubing attached to the small plastic hose on the pump intake. Now I don't have to worry about the plastic tube folding over in the oil pan. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty http://www.LakeOntarioSailing.com

R

Richard Wallace

Been There, Done That

All of the suggestions are on point. I have also spent an hour or more trying to pump the oil out of the 3GMF in my 34. After several years and many attempts, I have found that there are a couple of things that really help. If the oil is a little warm, it pumps much more easily. Removing the oil fill cap from the valve cover helps. I have not tried the copper tube approach but rather than cut the plastic tube at an angle, cut a couple of notches about an eighth of an inch deep into the end of the tube. That way you don't end up with a quarter inch of oil in the bottom of the oil pan and no matter how it touches, it will not seal the end of the tube. Finally, keep a roll of paper towels close. Under the best of circumstances it is still a messy job. Good luck, hope these ideas help.

M

Michael Brooks

Thanks for the great suggestions

Great suggestions, I'll give them a go tomorrow. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having this type of problem changing the oil. And your right about the paper towels, I used quite a few myself.

C

Claude L.-Auger

Oil change mess

I put the week-end paper to good use and spread several sections under the engine to catch any oil dripping when you pump it up and whatever commes out when you unscrew the oil filter. Using a manual pump like yours, I pump into a clar plastic gallon size container (i.e. windshield washer liquid, etc) so I can easily see how much I have extracted. I have also cut a plastic tub to about 2" in height, and i slide it under the engine. That way, if I drop the filter it does not mess too much. Good Luck

M

Michael Brooks

Finished

Warming the engine oil and cutting the small tube at an angle made it much easier. It was still a little difficult however this time it only took 15 to 20 minutes to extract the oil. After the attempt last week I replaced it with a 10w - 40 to flush the engine and then used the great suggestions to take the 40 weight oil out. Used the newspaper suffestion and a few paper towels, everything went great.

P

Paul Akers

Electric Pump

Michael, after laboring with the vacuum tank to drain the oil, I bought a $30 electric oil change pump. The 5 quart extraction now takes about 5 minutes (warm oil). It also uses the plastic tubes which usually retain a natural arc in them. I insert the arc to reach into the lowest portion/corner of the oil pan and usually get a complete drain.

C

Claude L.-Auger

5 quarts ?

Paul, what engine do you have ? My 3GM30 only holds 2.7 quarts

Status
Not open for further replies.