Oil change battle royale

Jul 26, 2010
I am doing basic maintenance on a diesel in my Challenger (Westerbeke/ Perkins 4-107) for first time. OK, basic oil changes: there must be a better way. I bought a PAR hand pump to try pumpping oil out the dipstick hole. A thousand strokes later I had a quart of oil and was sucking air. I removed the heat exchanger (since I was replacing it) and accessed the drain plug under the engine, and got another three quarts overflowing my pan,dumping into the difficult sump space below the motor. Four hours total and a total change of clothes after cleaning bilge later, I had my first oil change done (heat exchanger still not reinstalled). There must be a better way.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I wish I could help you. My oil change system isn't too much better. I do have a fitting on the oil plug with a hose connected. After removing the cap, I use a hand pump to pull the oil out. Even with hot oil, it takes some pumping! I think the narrow hose and fittings involved just aren't optimum for the meager pull of the hand pump.

If it were something I did more often (usually it's an annual ordeal with the low engine hours we accumulate), I think I'd find a better way.

One thing I've read is people have better success with some of the electric pump/container set ups that are for sale. I might look into one of those.

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
I did the first couple of oil changes on Bounding Home with the same final effect, too many hours, too much oil in the pan, a sore back and bloody knuckles.

Now, 14 years later and being less agile, I've come to see why boatyards charge what they do and have painfully found that it is easier and in many ways less expensive to let the pros do it! One thing the yard (Dodson's in Stonington, CT) does that I've have found educational is that they send oil samples out for analysis and report back if there is salt water, coolant, metals or exessive carbon burning levels thus allowing for preventative maintenance.

Knee pads and Advil also help.

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
The vacuum hand pumps available at West Marine work surprisingly well. ...not perfect but it can be done pretty quickly without much hassle. You simply pump enough times to get a vacuum created and it will suck the oil out of the dip stick tube or oil drain tube if your diesel is equipped with one.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sku=313820

West Marine model number 11047123 in cast the above link does not work.

Feb 22, 2006
I have a Mistral with a Westerbeke 4-108..... same issue. Like someone else who posted, I have a plug in the oil pan that connects to a 3 foot long hose with a ball valve in the end. And I've still ended up with a bilge full of oil on other attempts too. On my last oil change, even a hand pump wouldn't pull the oil out. So I bought a small pump that you hook up to an electric drill motor. I think it pumped out the oil sump in about 20 seconds. I paid more than what I would have liked for the pump but when all was said and done, it seems like it was worth it. Hope this helps.

Bill Merrick
S/V Carmina
Shilshole Bay Marina, WA

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for replys! I like the look of the west marine vaccuum pump. I am set with all clean oil, new auxillary fuel tank (20 gallons under cockpit sole) and new fuel and oil filters, and new pump impellers for now. If only I can get this boat back to the water and get some hours on the diesel next summer!

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Agree: vacuum pump way to go - oil changing becomes a pleasure (of sorts). Only wish my 1966 Perkins 4107 (which I am otherwise in love with - it's my "vintage car" and runs like a diesel sewing machine) didn't have a horizontal oil filter in a diet-challenging position...

Which Challenger is Hudson Challenger? (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169)