Oil Additaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Ullrich

I have a 1983 Cat 30 with a Universal 5411 deisel engine. For several years, it wan't used, and I was told that the rings aren't sealing properly and that compression is down on the No. 2 cylinder is down. I know that there are oil additaves for cars that help to in situations like this. Are there any ones for diesels? Will they work on a boa diesel? I know the long tern solution is repower or rebuild, but I'd like to hold off as long as possible. The engine "sounds" OK, but the power just ins't as good as it used to be. Any helpful hints would be appriciated...

G

Gordon Torresen

Oil additives

There are many oil additives on the market making many claims. I cannot personally vouch for any of them. Some thin the oil and some thicken it, some are even smart enough to stop leaks. My opinion is that no oil manufacturer is going to produce a lubricating oil that will cause harm. Any reformulation that is truly good will be included in production oil. Cleanliness is the most important thing. As an engine ages, blow-by increases with concomitant oil contamination. Oil should be changed more often as the engine hours increase. Get a good oil and stick with it. The relatively new 15W 40 oils, formulated for diesel use are what I would use. The Universal 5411 was on the edge when initally installed in Catalina 30's. There are other possibility for a conceived loss of power, such as a dirty bottom or marginal fuel. If your engine starts readily on the first start of the day, its probably in pretty good shape. Keep the oil clean, use good fuel and sail a lot.

T

Tom Senator

Isn't single weight oil better that multi-grade ?

I know that deisel manufacturers are now slowly saying that its OK to use Multi-weght oil (i.e. 15W-40). But some still stick to saying 'only single weight oil' should be used (30W). I've heard/ read that single weight is pure petroleum oil but multi-weight has additives that extend the viscocity, etc. and that those additives are not the best for an engine over the long haul. But I know realistically, that other things will probably happen to an engine well before any problem occurs because the additives in multi-grade. With that said.....what do you think of putting a little of Marvel Mystery Oil in when doing an oil change?.....I do usually, but I don't know if if helps or hurts?

P

Peter Correale

dont use adidtives

all oils have sinthetics, by adding more addidtives you are compromising the different properties of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.