Oh the Weather outside is frightful...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sitting here, sipping coffee, eating "Puckerbrush" plum jam on a piece of my sourdough toast this chilly morning, I started my planning to head to the boat. I have been making a list and checking it twice as to what I need/want to think about accomplishing this winter. Preparation for spring sailing, being out on the water early in 2021.

Then I get a message from my friend about his long range weather forecast for the first half of JANUARY 2021...
Monday December 28​
Enjoy the rain break that Nature will present to the PNW over the next 40 hrs or so, because it will turn quite stormy soon. Morning beverage & wx time.
Today & Tue will be the driest days out of the next several (although, CA is getting some precip today & Tue). The next series of storms will begin impacting the PNW starting overnight Tue. Plenty of rain, wind and FEET of mountain snow will be bundled together and gifted the PNW between now and the middle of January. Say what?
Variations in the timing of individual storm arrival is about the only difference among model solutions, so we’ll point out a couple key features on the charts. Other than a slight pause in the action this Thu, and again around Jan 10, the systems will be packed close together. While it will be on/off windy throughout the next couple of weeks, A POWERFUL storm is possible overnight Sat Jan 2. Plenty of rain before & after that particular front passes, with wind gusts likely to cause power issues in many locations from the coast to areas inland. It will turn windy all the way into ID as the first weekend of 2021 weekend progresses. Colder air will back-fill behind the front, as rain/showers continue in the PNW and extend into CA next week - Jan 4-8. Another windy storm may arrive late next week (Thu or Fri, Jan 7,8). On/off rain, wind, mountain snow is charting for the week of Jan 11-15.​
Snow snow snow in the mountains and even at lower elevation foothills around the PNW early in Jan. Furthermore, snow showers at the surface are also possible west side, at times, following the cold fronts, esp the farther north one is located in the PNW.​
Repetitive info, yes, but that’s exactly what model scenarios present for the PNW. Between Wed Dec 30 and the middle of next week, rainfall could total 3-4” in western valleys, more in the coast range, and several feet of snow in the Cascades. The period following that could also bring on inches of rain & feet of snow in the mountains. Obviously, we’ll all have to wait and see if these model projections verify. Note: we are in a rather strong La Nina pattern this winter; consequently, the computer models may be picking up on that attribute.​
“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” -Mother Teresa
-Rufus​

Perhaps I should be planning to go skiing.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
And on the bright side “ the days are getting longer”. As the poet said “ if winters here, can spring be far behind?”

Oct 22, 2014
Terry
No wet blanket intended. You know they say "don't shoot the messenger".
In fact "Fore warned is fore armed".

You should not be caught outside in jammies with your blankie by accident, so it should not get wet unless intended.

Michael
Spring may not be far behind but it sure looks like we got to muck through a lot to get there.
I see what you did with the "On the bright side..." comment. Pretty sneaky.

Keep your powder dry... No wet blanket. It just might freeze...
John

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
sometimes 'shooting the messenger' just makes you feel better. that old saying was made up by messengers. no one gave them such authority. their messengers.
shoot em :yikes:

• Wow
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
John, just think of how clear, crisp, and fresh the air will be for a few days after the storms have passed!! I very much look forward to those exquisite days here. Beautiful venue I suspect there in the PNW for them!!

KG

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
One could throw caution to the wind. Weather be damned. Tough it out. Or wimp it out in your barcalounger. He he.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
No hamburgers from Friday Harbor but I do have some good popcorn.

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Sitting here, sipping coffee, eating "Puckerbrush" plum jam on a piece of my sourdough toast this chilly morning, I started my planning to head to the boat. I have been making a list and checking it twice as to what I need/want to think about accomplishing this winter. Preparation for spring sailing, being out on the water early in 2021.

Then I get a message from my friend about his long range weather forecast for the first half of JANUARY 2021...
Monday December 28​
Enjoy the rain break that Nature will present to the PNW over the next 40 hrs or so, because it will turn quite stormy soon. Morning beverage & wx time.
Today & Tue will be the driest days out of the next several (although, CA is getting some precip today & Tue). The next series of storms will begin impacting the PNW starting overnight Tue. Plenty of rain, wind and FEET of mountain snow will be bundled together and gifted the PNW between now and the middle of January. Say what?
Variations in the timing of individual storm arrival is about the only difference among model solutions, so we’ll point out a couple key features on the charts. Other than a slight pause in the action this Thu, and again around Jan 10, the systems will be packed close together. While it will be on/off windy throughout the next couple of weeks, A POWERFUL storm is possible overnight Sat Jan 2. Plenty of rain before & after that particular front passes, with wind gusts likely to cause power issues in many locations from the coast to areas inland. It will turn windy all the way into ID as the first weekend of 2021 weekend progresses. Colder air will back-fill behind the front, as rain/showers continue in the PNW and extend into CA next week - Jan 4-8. Another windy storm may arrive late next week (Thu or Fri, Jan 7,8). On/off rain, wind, mountain snow is charting for the week of Jan 11-15.​
Snow snow snow in the mountains and even at lower elevation foothills around the PNW early in Jan. Furthermore, snow showers at the surface are also possible west side, at times, following the cold fronts, esp the farther north one is located in the PNW.​
Repetitive info, yes, but that’s exactly what model scenarios present for the PNW. Between Wed Dec 30 and the middle of next week, rainfall could total 3-4” in western valleys, more in the coast range, and several feet of snow in the Cascades. The period following that could also bring on inches of rain & feet of snow in the mountains. Obviously, we’ll all have to wait and see if these model projections verify. Note: we are in a rather strong La Nina pattern this winter; consequently, the computer models may be picking up on that attribute.​
“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” -Mother Teresa
-Rufus​

Perhaps I should be planning to go skiing.
Rufus -- Your message could not have been timed better. We were out yesterday in/near Elliott Bay. The wind was picking up ~1 kt every 30 min. We left at noon with a gentle 8 and by the time we headed back to the marina at ~3 pm it was blowing 16, the water was gray, and there were whitecaps. Our plans were for a late-day NYE cruise with friends but rethinking that now!

Also, you just confirmed my plans for Jan to remove the sails and get them off to Northsails for winter maintenance and repairs. Thank you!

Sean

Oct 22, 2014
Glad I and my buddy Rufus could help.

I awoke this morning to heavy frost, patches of fog obscuring the before day break moon.

The coffee was rich and warm. Then daybreak happened. Red sky in the morning...the sailors tale affirmed the promise of a coming storm.
Sunrise Sky.jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The ten day weather forecast, at this moment, looks to be somewhat reasonable, albeit some rain. Only one day with winds in the upper teens. No stormy conditions or alerts...yet. Hmm. Some potential here for a Haley's hankering.

Oct 22, 2014
There is no stopping a Haley's hankering.
Kind of like the mailman's motto.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this sailor from the swift completion of his appointed mission - a HALEY's Hamburger.

Oct 22, 2014
I can report that the "Red sky in the morning sailors take warning" advise has proven itself again. We just had the storm front roll through this morning. Wind and a brief show of hail, now we are getting the rain. 0.25 per hour. That will raise the creeks around here. Sure glad I had the time in the sunshine to take down the outdoor Christmas lights.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Lots of wind and rain around here too John, buts it’s been to cloudy and dark to see any red sky for several days. Typical PNW winter weather.

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
There is no stopping a Haley's hankering.
Kind of like the mailman's motto.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this sailor from the swift completion of his appointed mission - a HALEY's Hamburger.
Okay, after a fruitless Google search, gotta ask: what is a Haley's Hankering?

Oct 22, 2014
Oh my... you could be in for a treat is you are not vegan..

Imagine if you will a long difficult sail across the Juan D'Fuca. You have toiled away fighting up channel through Cattle Point pass. Beat into the current and winds of San Juan Channel. Rounded Turning Point rock and found your way into the still waters of Friday Harbor. You set anchor, secure your trusty craft, and row ashore. You step ashore, and wander up hill on wobbly legs to Haley's Sports Bar and Grill. Your greater by friendly person asking "What will you be having..." And then this magically appears on your table.

224137ED-BF55-4D59-BF6A-BAE6EAEF4C70.jpeg

JUICY>>>> DELICIOUSNESS!

Nov 23, 2020
Hunter 45DS Seattle
Oh my... you could be in for a treat is you are not vegan..

Imagine if you will a long difficult sail across the Juan D'Fuca. You have toiled away fighting up channel through Cattle Point pass. Beat into the current and winds of San Juan Channel. Rounded Turning Point rock and found your way into the still waters of Friday Harbor. You set anchor, secure your trusty craft, and row ashore. You step ashore, and wander up hill on wobbly legs to Haley's Sports Bar and Grill. Your greater by friendly person asking "What will you be having..." And then this magically appears on your table.

View attachment 188635

JUICY>>>> DELICIOUSNESS!
OH MY GAWD! My mouth just started watering uncontrollably. I may drive there for lunch! Thank you for clarifying.... I thought I was really losing my research skills.

Sean

• Ha