Oh snap! It snapped!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm convinced this boat is cursed but that's a topic for another day. One of the stays got caught when we were stepping the mast and ripped a spreader from the mast. I was originally going to throughbolt both spreaders with long screws but the first one snapped when I tightened it down so I tossed that idea aside. There are two other options that don't require welding. The first is to move one or both spreaders down a couple of inches. I think I have enough threads on the turnbuckles to do that. The other option is to fabricate a plate to "sleeve" the side of the mast that broke. Which would be the better option?

pQUQx66g.jpegtCgf66Qw.jpeg

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Are those cracks between the holes? If so, I'd take it in and get it welded.
Thru bolting isn't really a good idea as all you will do is crush the mast. Rivets are much better.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Moving the spreaders is a bad idea as it will change the geometry of the rig and that will lead to who knows what poor outcome.

Through bolting is also a bad idea. There is a lot of compression force on the spreaders, through bolting will increase that force and weaken the mast. Notice the compression tube in middle hole. That is there to absorb the compression on the spreaders.

I'd opt for welding or brazing the cracks and then use rivets to hold the base in place. The rivets are there to hold the spreader base in place, the big forces are compression so there is little force on the rivets themselves so long as the forces remain in compression. But you did an an experiment learned this the hard way. :(

Practical Sailor just did an article on brazing aluminum, however it is for subscribers only.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
You could put a set of aluminum doubler plates on. One on each side of the mast. No welding needed.

Attach the doublers with SS screws into threaded holes in the mast. Bed the plates with sealant. Use compression tubes where there are through bolts. Bed the through bolts inside the compression tubes with Tefgel.

Disassemble in a few years for inspection.

More details here:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
As usual @dlochner comes through with a reasonable explanation that just makes sense
@DrJudyB Wow! That's some impressive work. It's a shame my mast doesn't have a flat spot like yours. I do have access to a slip roller. I have no idea what the capacity of it is. It's also stuck in a shop instead of the marina

These projects are starting to burn me out. It seems to be five hours of work for every one on the water. I looked up a few welders and will be reaching out to them tomorrow morning. Hopefully one of them will come through without too much hassle from the marina.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The other option is to fabricate a plate to "sleeve" the side of the mast that broke.
I don't see the need for a sleeve in this case. Once you connect with a welder who can come and is skilled welding aluminum, it should be a fairly simple matter to weld up those cracks between the rivet holes.

Is there any other damage or deformation of the mast other than the cracks?

Not there was a thread on almost this exact topic just two years ago, here:

O'Day 25 Spreader Base Repair

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
These projects are starting to burn me out. It seems to be five hours of work for every one on the water. I looked up a few welders and will be reaching out to them tomorrow morning. Hopefully one of them will come through without too much hassle from the marina.
Welcome to 1970's, not very well built, boat ownership. I am sorry, not making light of your situation but, you may be approaching the point of diminishing returns. An O'Day 25 is really not worth all this effort and funds. But, you aren't in a position now to sell either. Sorry about all this hardship with your boat. It's a hard place to be, been there myself when I owned mine.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...Practical Sailor just did an article on brazing aluminum, however it is for subscribers only.

And it said "not masts."

I'd probably opt for the doubler plates. Because the mast is curved, I would cut them from an old buckled mast section, if available.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I don't see the need for a sleeve in this case. Once you connect with a welder who can come and is skilled welding aluminum, it should be a fairly simple matter to weld up those cracks between the rivet holes.

Is there any other damage or deformation of the mast other than the cracks?
No other damage. The spreader got caught on the throttle that's mounted on the stern rail (I love not having to bend down to adjust it or use my foot). We caught it when it bent backwards so there's no other damage that we're aware of.
I have two welders interested in this project. One of them said that the proper way to repair it is to remove a section of metal and replace it. He said that if the cracks were welded it would crack again. On the other hand this piece is mostly compressed, not pulled backwards.

Welcome to 1970's, not very well built, boat ownership. I am sorry, not making light of your situation but, you may be approaching the point of diminishing returns. An O'Day 25 is really not worth all this effort and funds. But, you aren't in a position now to sell either. Sorry about all this hardship with your boat. It's a hard place to be, been there myself when I owned mine.
You once told me getting rid of your O'Day was the best boating move you've ever made. That pops into my head every time mine this boat throws me another curve ball. I've put way too much time and money into this thing. I'll be happy if I get half of that money back when I sell this well polished turd of a boat

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have two welders interested in this project. One of them said that the proper way to repair it is to remove a section of metal and replace it. He said that if the cracks were welded it would crack again. On the other hand this piece is mostly compressed, not pulled backwards.
Thinking about @DrJudyB's repair and @thinwater's suggestions, I think a better way might be to weld a piece of aluminum over the damaged area and then reinstall the spreader base.

You once told me getting rid of your O'Day was the best boating move you've ever made. That pops into my head every time mine this boat throws me another curve ball. I've put way too much time and money into this thing. I'll be happy if I get half of that money back when I sell it.
This is the boat you learn on. Better to break things on an inexpensive boat. Even if the financial return on investment is deeply negative, you've learned a lot. That is invaluable. :beer:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thinking about @DrJudyB's repair and @thinwater's suggestions, I think a better way might be to weld a piece of aluminum over the damaged area and then reinstall the spreader base.
I got two quotes and went with the more knowledgeable and reputable welder. I agree that this would create a very strong repair. He has a few ideas but will make the final decision when he sees the mast in person. I will definitely mention and show a pic of Judy's repair to him

This is the boat you learn on. Better to break things on an inexpensive boat. Even if the financial return on investment is deeply negative, you've learned a lot. That is invaluable.
Oh how I have learned. I can't argue that. I contribute the majority of that to the knowledge and advice of everyone on this forum. I'd love to start listing names of those who have stood out in my mind over the past few years but I know I would be leaving some people out. Thank you to everybody here!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Agree, my best boat project on our Oday 25 was a Catalina 310! I was happy to learn on her and she does have a great family enjoying her still. But one major issue and she would be total lose. FWIW I would follow @DrJudyB as I could fab the double plates myself.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Agree, my best boat project on our Oday 25 was a Catalina 310! I was happy to learn on her and she does have a great family enjoying her still. But one major issue and she would be total lose. FWIW I would follow @DrJudyB as I could fab the double plates myself.
If there wasnt such a curve on the mast and it was earlier in the season I would fabricate it myself. My life has been revolving around boat repairs for the past few months. That needs to change as I'm past the point of enjoyment. It will return but I'm done with medium and large repairs for now

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
as I'm past the point of enjoyment. It will return
It certainly will. I know, BTDT over the years since we've owned boats, since 1983. C22 for 5, C25 for 13 and this one since 1998. I am just in the process of completing a fuel issue that has held me back this season. It started last September (!!!), and the spring and early summer were wet and cold this year.
Believe me, you are right, it will return.
Good luck on the repairs.
Any lessons learned on the throttle location?