oh, oh, oh that O-ring!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Filled the water tank as usual, started the Shurflo pump, all good. Cam back a few days later and needed some water and blaaaa, the thing is producing air, not even a trickle. Removed the strainer figuring stuff in the bottom of the tank mucked it up, which has happened. Did not look too bad actually. I always keep a spare strainer assembly so went to that as diagnostic step. Presto.... all fine again! Took at good look at the trouble strainer and the o-ring is gone! Still don't know for sure as, but I guess it disintegrated and went through the pump in little pieces. This strainer was probably 10-12 years old so this message is to any of you having a Shurflow pump issue...take a good look at not just the gunk inside but for the presence and condition of that o-ring!

And of course the full tank drained itself down to the level of the strainer! Kind of a tip off right there I guess.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
More likely the o-ring was stuck to the bowl and fell off un-noticed on the floor or into some dark recess. Whatever, you do need one as you found out!