Oh my O'day had some ropey quality

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Prepping "no hurry" for getting wet next week, and one thing that has bothered me since getting the 23 was that the screws holding the gudgeons never seemed tight.
I had the use of 12 year old who was not eager nor willing to climb into the bowels of the O'day. But went anyway.
Removed and re bedded the three screws, all good for another 37 years now that there are big washers on the back side, non before.
So I had her loo up and the rear chain plate for the backstay, not only is there no backing plate there are no washers either!!
No way for her to get an arm with a wrench up there, just no way.
I assume it was bolted in before the tub was dropped in.
It needs a backing plate, the screws are lose and the transom is getting on in years.
I'm going to cut an access "hatch" from the cockpit just below the tiller, I need a clean "factory look" way of covering after, any ideas? needs to be completely weather proof.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Forgot to add, only needs to be 5" x 7" or so

Never mind :) defender to the rescue, just ordered a Beckson 6" access port
now to make up a backing plate...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can you make up a backing plate that is a little thicker and has the holes tapped for your bolts? Then you may not need a wrench on the back side. Get two bolts started while your small person holds the plate in place and the plate shouldn't move while you tighten from above.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Can you make up a backing plate that is a little thicker and has the holes tapped for your bolts? Then you may not need a wrench on the back side. Get two bolts started while your small person holds the plate in place and the plate shouldn't move while you tighten from above.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Problem with that is , I still need a wrench on, to remove the nuts currently in place, they were put on with some kind of "4200 esq" material and took some shifting on the gudgeons.
But in principal, that would be a great idea.
Hmmmmm
Wrench on a stick?

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
no way a crows foot is going to work in that situation.
But cutting the heads off and making the backing plate is a great idea.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Socket wrench with a long extension?
If you send the kid in there with a Dremel tool, make sure she knows it will take time so she doesn't get impatient and looses control and cut into the boat. Also, safety glasses. I've gone to the emergency department for Dremel flecks in my eyes, not fun.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Lots of good Becksons deck plates and access hatches online. You can get 6, 8, and 10” round, or you could go with a rectangular. I have cut a few to gain access to difficult places.

5501D879-42B2-4BA1-A7B5-9785FE8A4166.jpeg

There are screw-in and snap-in. You can also get larger, rectangular ones. They look very good.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Socket wrench with a long extension?
If you send the kid in there with a Dremel tool, make sure she knows it will take time so she doesn't get impatient and looses control and cut into the boat. Also, safety glasses. I've gone to the emergency department for Dremel flecks in my eyes, not fun.

- Will (Dragonfly)
wouldn't trust her with a crayon let alone a dremel,lol
No room for a socket , remember this was installed before the deck was put in place!
The Beckson 6" screw in plate arrives this week, it will allow access to the chainplate and the upper gudgeon for reinforcement.
Honestly, this 23' is in better shape now than when it left the factory

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
wouldn't trust her with a crayon let alone a dremel,lol
:clap:ha ha ha ha, I know how you feel. My wife gets frustrated that I never made my kids do any work when I was home with them. It was simply a matter of trust. I know the work will get done right if I do it. If I make them do it, then it's mostly a fight, they wouldn't do it well, if they did it at alland they might even damage something in the process. Life is just more relaxing if I don't try to get someone else to do work I could do.

The Beckson 6" screw in plate arrives this week, it will allow access to the chainplate and the upper gudgeon for reinforcement.
It is always nice having an access port.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Forgot to add, only needs to be 5" x 7" or so

Never mind :) defender to the rescue, just ordered a Beckson 6" access port
now to make up a backing plate...
That was going to be my suggestion!
We added one to access the inside of the transom of our old CAL 21 after another owner mentioned doing that, and those of us that remember Joe Alves (TRINKA) will recall that he installed one on his 222 an I've seen many owners follow his lead!

The rudder gudgeons on my 1979 DS II were originally secured with 4 fasteners, outer 2 were sheet metal screws, inner 2 were through bolts. I have since replaced the screws with bolts.

Jun 22, 2016
Pearson 26 Chesapeake Bay
Would you mind poatipo pictures of your backstay chain plate when you get her open?

I'd be curious how it looks in there. I have a 222, and I can't see where the backstay mounts, it looks like it's buried in the glass on my '84.

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
Well - I had no problem crawling around under cockpit on my 23-2. I am 5'10" , about 150 lbs. Replaced back stay tang, actually made it a split back stay with tensioner, installed life rail, r and r gudgeons, etc, oh and new backing plate for motor bracket. Soooooo

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Will take pictures and post, but a quick update:
Cut the hole and mounted the access port, no issues.
Issue was when I looked at the transom and where the back stay chain plate was mounted!
Half the transom (port side) is 3/4" thicker because it's reinforced. the chain plate is installed directly on this transition it's ridiculous .
No way I can add a plate as is, now, to be fair , it's stayed up for 37 years so I'm not going to let it stop me sailing, but I do now have to think of a solution.
Most likely I will glass in a small piece and marry it to where the transition is, drill through using the existing holes and put longer bolts through. But that is going to have to wait until end of season.
Anyway, I'll get pictures maybe over the weekend.