offshore sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Off Shore

hello Did any one go ofshore sailing with a 30ft o'day
It depends on what you mean by off shore?
How far are you talking about?
Are you still taking your parrot to Bermuda?

People have crossed oceans in smaller boats.
Some less seaworthy. We are waiting for your
report from Burmuda. When you get there we
will know it can be done.

Ed K

Attachments

Dec 16, 2012
Oday o'day 30 Lac Champlain
I am gonna leave from Montreal down the ST-Lawrence river and get to Halifax and then to Bermudas and the bahamas after the carebian seas. Yes my Parrot is coming with us.

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
I've taken my 302 to the Tortugas and back non-stop from St Pete a few times now. Its about 44 hrs each way and puts you about 100 miles from land at the farthest point. One trip had 30 knot winds and 8 waves on the nose the entire way. The boat did much better than myself. Returning, we had 45 knots and 25' waves. Luckily we were running downwind in those conditions. Ill see you in the Bahamas.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I am gonna leave from Montreal down the ST-Lawrence river and get to Halifax and then to Bermudas and the bahamas after the carebian seas. Yes my Parrot is coming with us.
That's a long jump on an30 footer. Good for you if you have someone willing to do it with you. My wife would never go for it. One overnight at a time is her limit. Which O'Day 30 footer do you have?

Can a 30 foot O'Day carry enough water for that trip? Probably close to 2-3 weeks of open ocean sailing from Halifax to Bermuda. With two people and a parrot, that's like 2.5 gallons a day minimum, so that's like 52.5 gallons. So that should be ok there. Probably need to carry a lot on Gerry cans. And probably need to carry more like 100 gallons to be safe.

It would take more time but probably be more comfortable to take the ICW.

Good luck to you.

Fair winds

Dec 16, 2012
The boat was buitl 1978 and the keel is moulded with the Hull it is an advantage.But I am thinking May gonna change the boat for a van de Stadt excaliber 30 it a steel hull. Cause If w like it the way we plan we might gonna cross the ocean?

Dec 16, 2012
I am loking for a blue water sail boat It's a Van de stadt steal cutter but it's not like an o'day I love better My o'day the only thing that would make me go for the steal cutter is the ruther it is more solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.