Offshore Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Hi all, Ive recently found out about an anual race that happens up here in rochester, NY, called the Scotch Bonnet. It's ~ 75 nm, across Lake Ontario and back north to south. I don't have a lot of racing experience besides 420's with the college team, but I'll regularly sail my 23 5-10 miles offshore, and though this would be a cool thing to do with my dad for Father's Day. Just looking for input from others - does this sound like a decent idea, or am I setting myself up for trouble? I wouldn't set off if the forecasts are *too* ugly, but I don't mind sailing under a reefed main alon in 25-30 knots Ken - I'm especially interested in what you have to say, because this is your race!

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
I would think you need another crew anyway.

It's apt to be a longer sail than you think and you are not allowed to use autopilots. You have to be able to switch off to rest, and you need another pair of hands in an emergency. Have a good sail. Joe S

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Done a bunch

Well Say a boat that could be crewed with 5 during a day race would need at least 8 people unless there real ironmen and we usally did 4 hour shifts with eveybody up if a big weather change required a headsail change Tommays

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
5 people!!

I didn't give much thought to the long sail - we both race endurance oval-track races (in cars). Remember - it is only a 23' boat. I think the MAX would be 4, though having 3 would be nice - gives someone a chance to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.