Off-shore delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

Read this for more info:

You can do this without a lawyer. Just go to any CA. Board of Equalization office and tell them that you are buying a boat in Mexico and you do not wish to do anything that would trigger the need to pay California tax on your purchase. The B. of E. people will give you a list of rules that must be followed. The way the law is worded makes intent the defining issue, so you do not want to tell them that tax avoidance is your intent, only that you dont wish to be charged tax for buying a boat in a foriegn country where no tax is due. Read this for a thorough discourse on the subject: http://www.sfsailing.com/publish.shtml

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Mea Maxima Culpa . . . Caveat Emptor

Dick - if you're still reading, thanks. I hope to live up to expectations. Check out the link in Rick's post for the Use Tax/Sales Tax angle. For the purposes of this discussion they are equivilant. As the site points out, as a result of 1620 one negates the other. As to the off-shore delivery issue - even the lawyer specializing in these transactions notes that the subjective intent of the buyer is at issue in thse situations. That makes it illegal to do this if you're trying to evade the tax. Doesn't mean you can't do it; just that its a legal violation and one that the state could try to prosecute. If that were not so, why do you need all the pictures? All I tried to say, albiet unclearly, in my original post, was that before deciding whether or not to do this, you ought to determine your risk tolerance. There - I've said it. :)

E

Eric Lorgus

The way it works in Florida

I am a Pennsylvania resident, and just recently bought a used H54 in FL. I was given the option of *NOT* paying sales tax, if it was my intent not to use or keep the boat in FL. If you don't intend to use the boat in FL, you have 90 days to remove it, after which you must send the FL Dept of Revenue receipts for dockage and fuel, as proof that the boat is out of FL waters. You are then not allowed to return to FL for 6 months, and thereafter, cannot keep the boat in FL for more than 180 days/yr. FL is very specific about their definition of intent. If a corporation buys the boat, and any of its officers or directors lives in FL, then you have to pay sales tax, regardless of the practical intent of where the boat will ultimately be sailed. I naturally wanted to opt for not paying the FL sales tax, but ran into a lot of conflicting advice on what was legal and what wasn't. Most states assume a boat spends most of its time in one state's waters, and that's the state that's entitled to collect sales tax. So for me, Delaware looked attractive. It has no sales tax, and is near the Chesapeake (where I would move the boat for the summer season). But I also wanted to keep the boat in FL for winters, and FL has day counting restrictions for out-of-state boats (I think it's 180 days max). To add to the confusion, I discovered that some states are "title" states and some aren't. MD & FL are "title" states, DE isn't. Not that this seemed that relevant, since my boat was to be federally documented. But these were the factoids that the employees at these different state bureaus kept throwing at me. In the end, after consuming way too much aspirin over this whole thing, I opted to pay FL its sales tax, which entitles me to keep "Impulse" there as much as I like. For summers on the Chesapeake, I will essentially be a visiting out-of-state boat. I don't know anything about CA sales & use tax laws. However, years ago, when I was the treasurer for a small manufacturer in Phila, I was amazed at the effort that the CA Board of Equalization put in to make sure we were following their regs. I used to get 5 page letters from some bureaucrat who wanted to make sure that we were collecting sales tax for the 5 or so customers we had in CA. These weren't form letters, either. This guy would go on & on about what their regs said, and how we weren't in perfect compliance. There couldn't have been more than a few hundred dollars of sales tax at issue, but he pursued us like we were GM. Having said that, if the CA Board of Equalization is still equally rabid about enforcement, I'd be very careful about a transaction where big bucks are involved. Eric Lorgus s/v Impulse 83H54

T

Tim Schaaf

Bottom line...it is OK

Rick is correct. Call the Board of Equalization and get the EXACT regs. It is a bit more involved than just being out of the country for 90 days, and it has to do with establishing intent. But it happens all the time. I happen to be the Dockmaster/Marina Manager at Marina Cabo San Lucas, and we have our share of "offshore-delivery"boats here, too. We have to provide copies of our clients' statements to them for the State Board. Probably happens a couple of times a month. If they do everything right, there is no problem.There are even a couple of brokers down here! Incidentally, you will not be buying your boat in Mexico, either. It is not legal to buy or sell a US registered boat in Mexico. You are buying your boat OFFSHORE! By the way, the reports you have concerning Ensenada and Marina Corral are essentially correct....the toll road is great, you will enjoy Ensenada (although those of us who live further south would never concede that it is really the Baja!), the marina is comfortable, and Baja Naval does good work for a fair price. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.