Off season topic

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I looked a bunch of ignition switches spec's this morning - its a real mixed bag - some were 10A on ignition but 30A on start(Mercury), others were just the opposite 10A on ignition but only 5A on start (Cole Hersee) --

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I looked a bunch of ignition switches spec's this morning - its a real mixed bag - some were 10A on ignition but 30A on start(Mercury), others were just the opposite 10A on ignition but only 5A on start (Cole Hersee) --
I saw that too. My guess is that on the C310 it doesn’t matter, because both glow plugs and starter are relay driven, with minimal current draw. Still, I do need to measure it, just a pain to do.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I measured 10A for the starter relay yesterday. That seems higher than I would have expected, but after looking closer at the engine manual I realize that there isn't a separate relay for the starter; the "start" control wire goes straight to the starter solenoid. I tried to measure the glow plug relay current, but it was very small; either the relay/solenoid is broken or the draw is tiny. I'll need to investigate further. Maybe switching controls will require a new starter switch that can handle the starter solenoid current.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That sounds about right - the high amperage is only when the solenoid is pushing the Bendix out, it would be hard to catch on a VOM. Then it drops to 12 for me.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have a similar but non-boat related project.It does affect my tow rig though. I need to find a reliable toggle switch I can mount in my Suburban's engine compartment. Flat on the surface not through a hole. I have gremlins on her. Once in while, in the most inconvenient places, it refuses to start. No click from the solenoid. No way for a single person to measure voltage when it happens. To try to alleviate it, I've replaced the solenoid, the park safety switch and the electrical switch behind the ignition tumbler. I have no confidence it's fixed, so I want to add a backup circuit. A fused toggle switch from the battery to the solenoid. That way, if it ever happens again, I can start it from the switch. Very similar to the remote starter switches mechanics use only permanently wired in.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have a similar but non-boat related project.It does affect my tow rig though. I need to find a reliable toggle switch I can mount in my Suburban's engine compartment. Flat on the surface not through a hole. I have gremlins on her. Once in while, in the most inconvenient places, it refuses to start. No click from the solenoid. No way for a single person to measure voltage when it happens. To try to alleviate it, I've replaced the solenoid, the park safety switch and the electrical switch behind the ignition tumbler. I have no confidence it's fixed, so I want to add a backup circuit. A fused toggle switch from the battery to the solenoid. That way, if it ever happens again, I can start it from the switch. Very similar to the remote starter switches mechanics use only permanently wired in.[/QUO
Reminds me of an old Dodge stationwagon I had years ago. While driving across country, the car didn't start, and, since the starter relay was mounted on the firewall, I was able to jump the terminals with two screwdrivers, and start the engine. I did that for a couple of days until I found an auto parts store.