Odd skin reaction while cleaning hull

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I can bend a pole like that for half that price. Actually I bent my gin pole for my mast raising system and had to build a new one. I'll sell you my bent pole for only $200:cowbell:

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
I'm with Will(Dragonfly). I've been scuba diving for 20 years and it's definitely "sea lice". Though, as Will said, "sea lice" aren't actually lice, they're tiny jellyfish larvae. In the water, they literally just look like little specs of dust or floating debris, so you don't see it coming until it's too late. They're referred to as "lice" because with the burning is a non-stop itching that makes you crazy.

Vinegar really helps with it so dive boats usually carry a spray bottle of it on board. Fresh water causes their little stingers to release more of the bad stuff and makes it worse.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG

The Goby - Hull Cleaning System
$229.95
This looks interesting. Expensive, but interesting.

-Will (Dragonfly)
If there was anything attached to my bottom after the antifouling stopped doing its job, that silly thing wouldn't be of any use at all. It takes effort to get the grass and barnacles off our bottom.
Like fishing lures, I think that thing (and/or maybe the girl) is designed to catch the person, not do much of a job.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think that thing (and/or maybe the girl) is designed to catch the person, not do much of a job.
It has been estimated that a fouled bottom can reduce a ship's speed by up to 10% using as much as 40% more fuel to compensate. SeaRobotics, with funding from the U.S. Navy Office of Naval Research (ONR), has come up with an answer to this problem.
May I then present you with...
The ultimate in underwater grooming.
The "HullBug." Fully automated, robot attaches to your hull with vacuum technology and moves around your hull cleaning and anti-fouling.

I couldn't find an exact price with shipping, but I think it is a little more expensive than the Goby Hull Cleaning System. So, be prepared to layout more than a few Boat Bucks. I guarantee there will not be a single lousy rash bump involved when you clean your bottom with the HullBug. The best invention since Bag Balm.
AND, if you order before midnight tonight, We'll throw in a set of Ginsu steak knives, ABSOLUTELY FREE.

-Will ( Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I've seen jellyfish tentacles get chopped up & spread around by a boat's prop. Those little chunks of tentacle can get you. They don't just die as soon as you cut them off.

Also, in places like Australia, they have some really mean little jellyfish that can be so small you sometimes need a magnifying glass to see them. I think that the really bad ones are called irukandji. The little guys have been known to be aggressive as well as highly venomous.

This is my first time hearing about the sea lice. It seems that I learn something new here every day.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Also, in places like Australia, they have some really mean little jellyfish that can be so small you sometimes need a magnifying glass to see them. I think that the really bad ones are called irukandji. The little guys have been known to be aggressive as well as highly venomous.
When I was cruising the Queensland coast, before dive skins were invented we wore nylon stockings to protect our legs from those things. Worked great.