Odd requirement in boat insurance

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Due to a "Practical Sailor" article, I reread my Geico boat insurance policy. The insurance does not cover damage due to ice and freezing, unless: "Provided that an insured boat, its engine(s) and its systems were: (1) winterized in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications by a commercial marine facility and if an insured boat is laid up afloat, a de-icing or bubbler system is used...."

My reading is if you are leaving your boat in a slip, then you must use a deicer or bubbler system AND the winterizing must be done by a "commercial marine facility." So if you DIY and something busts, its all on you. Nuts.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
the winterizing must be done by a "commercial marine facility."
OUCH ................... I can see that being done as a way of getting out of a valid insurance claim. Engine should always be safe (particularly if you do it yourself), in the fall. I think the bubbler can be a little more dicey should the compressor fail.

What's your idea of winter temperatures in your neighbourhood ?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
So if you DIY and something busts, its all on you. Nuts.
That’s not an uncommon stipulation. Lots of DIY boaters don’t have a clue how to properly winterize some systems and underwriters know that. All one needs as proof is to read some of the comments on sites like this one. If you want to get mad at someone, don’t misplace blame on the insurance company.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of the engine and generator, I can't think of any equipment on a boat on which freeze damage due to improper winterizing can occur that would even come close to exceeding the deductible on most insurance policies.

Just my $.02 worth...

--Peggie

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Short version of a long story; our first boat had probably wintered in the water for its previous 10 years (California and then Portland, OR). We bought the boat and brought it to Olympia. Since it was our first boat, and we would be away for an extended time over the winter, we had the boat hauled out to spend the winter in the boat yard. When the boat was relaunched in the spring, there was a gusher of a leak in the area around the shaft seal. Apparently, it had frozen over the winter, and when relaunched allowed water in through a number of newly expanded micro-cracks. The result (when it was relaunched) was a phone call to me, on the ski slopes in Montana, asking if we had always had so much water coming in around the prop shaft... Uh... No!

As I was reviewing my insurance renewal, I noticed that the freeze damage clause was waived in Washington. I called Boat US (pre Geico policy) and started a claim, which they ultimately paid.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I have a deck stepped mast with a furling main, so rain can enter through the slot and is supposed to exit via weep holes in the bottom of the mast. Unfortunately, about six years ago the winter precip included frequent but small amounts of rain and freezing nights. So the weep holes froze up, water accumulated about a foot or so inside the bottom of the mast, and then we had a hard freeze. Guess what, the ice inside split the mast like a grape. Total bill was around $30,000 for a new mast, rigging, etc. Insurance was Allstate and they paid promptly. But afterwards they said winter ice damage would no longer be covered (for me or for anyone else). A friend with a similar setup had the same problem that same winter. You can't winterize a mast, professionally or otherwise. So insurance companies have to CYA somehow I guess. Glad it was covered at the time.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Ralph: Not as cold as where you are! Some winters we can have several days sub-freezing, yielding a few inches of ice in creeks and even parts of the Chesapeake Bay proper.

Peggie: You are right about the costs and deductible.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
My current Geico/Boat US deductible for hull and equipment is $0.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A high deductable can reduce premiums considerably...it's simple math: the more of the risk you're willing to assume yourself, the less the insurance company has to charge you.

Auto and home owners insurance companies are fine for small trailerable boats, but larger boats are best covered by true "yacht" policies from companies who specialize in that kind of coverage and don't consider a boat to be just a floating vehicle.

But no matter who your carrier is, be sure to read ALL the fine print in your policy. A friend loved to brag that he'd found the best deal on boat insurance on the planet. That is, until a hose parted company with a thru-hull and sank his 6 yr old houseboat in its slip. His "best deal on the planet" insurance only covered raising the boat and drying out the engines and generator...everything IN the boat--furniture, appliances, bedding, even flooring and wall covering--was considered fully depreciated after 5 years so not covered.

Just sayin'...

--Peggie

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I have a deck stepped mast with a furling main, so rain can enter through the slot and is supposed to exit via weep holes in the bottom of the mast. Unfortunately, about six years ago the winter precip included frequent but small amounts of rain and freezing nights. So the weep holes froze up, water accumulated about a foot or so inside the bottom of the mast, and then we had a hard freeze. Guess what, the ice inside split the mast like a grape. Total bill was around $30,000 for a new mast, rigging, etc. Insurance was Allstate and they paid promptly. But afterwards they said winter ice damage would no longer be covered (for me or for anyone else). A friend with a similar setup had the same problem that same winter. You can't winterize a mast, professionally or otherwise. So insurance companies have to CYA somehow I guess. Glad it was covered at the time.
Sure you can. Pull out out of the boat and block with the slot down and butt a little lower than the head. A lot of people here do it every winter, one of the marinas requires it of all sailboats. My wife and I do ours every winter by ourselves with the hand crank gin pole the yard has. 36 foot boat, 42 foot mast weighs about 300#. No sweat.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of the engine and generator, I can't think of any equipment on a boat on which freeze damage due to improper winterizing can occur that would even come close to exceeding the deductible on most insurance policies.

Just my $.02 worth...

--Peggie
One $25 thruhull fitting which freezes and bursts can

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
How would you "properly" OR "improperly" winterize a thru-hull??? You leave it open if the boat is out of the water, close it if the boat stays in the water..in which case the water shouldn't freeze so nothing in the boat below the waterline should freeze either. What am I missing?

--Peggie

Last edited: