ODay23 -Using "Instant Start" with Outboard ?

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
I have a 2 cycle Mercury 7.5 Electric Start outboard in use since 1984. Sometimes, late in the season, it gets a little hard to start. If I crank twice (about 5 sec) and it still hasn't started, is it "ok" to squirt a little (1/2 sec) "Instant Start" into the air intake to start it up? I assume the (non-starting cranking) is lubricating the pistons..etc…. with the oil mixed with the gas. This would be done only a few times during the season.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not a problem. That little bit of starting fluid wont hurt the engine.

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
Not a problem. That little bit of starting fluid wont hurt the engine.
Thanks...that is a relief to know. I have had a response on another site to NEVER use the spray in a 2 cycle engine,...??…. but the "pre-cranking" would appear (to me) to give adequate lubrication!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I would try to find the root cause. Carb issue, primer, etc.?

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
They make starting fluid with lubricating oil in it . I had the exact same outboard for many years . I would replace the quick disconnect fitting first. Mine developed an airleak after sitting

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
Thanks for the good insight. The spray with lubricatiion sounds best, and I'll track it down rather than using the stuf from the local hardware store bought for my lawnmower!!