O'Day Widgeon manual

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
OOPS sorry for missing this! I haven't checked in here for a while, but did get your Private Message and have replied. THANK YOU!
You will enjoy that Widgeon! Here is a picture of mine, owned 1988-1996, she was a 1970 model (used to think 1969, but the price-lists for the 1969 and 1970 models list her original colors as stock for 1970, not 1969). I even had a spinnaker!

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
@Sunbird22358 , If you're still producing Widgeon manuals, it seems I too need one, as I picked up a '79 just yesterday.
Still making them!
Constantly updating the Manual too, as I gain more old O'DAY info.

I'll try to send yo ua private message with the order info.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II
Former owner of: BLUE BIRD
1969/70 Widgeon

Jun 2, 2004
I should be able to send you the info as a "private message", but for some reason it won't send?
So, please send me an e-mail (rjohnson24@juno.com) and i will send the ordering info.
Forum rules prohibit "selling" items on the forum.

Thanks!
Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II #10201
previous boat: BLUE BIRD
1970 Widgeon #1791

Sep 17, 2022
Oday Widgeon 12 Lake Hayward
Well, I have provided copies of my Expanded Widgeon Manual to several new Widgeon Owners, it contains diagrams for rigging the various versions of the boat (variations over the 1963-89 production run).

I do ask for $25 to cover my costs of printing and postage, but that does include scanned copies of the various Widgeon Sales Brochures that I have (1963, 66,67,68,69,70,71, 72 ,73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 85, 2003).

I'll e-mail details direct.
I'm also in need of a manuel
Tomlanders@cox.net

Dec 31, 2022
O'Day Widgeon 1985 Chesapeake Bay
Hello @Sunbird22358 - I placed this elsewhere in the O'Day forums, but I think you might be the ultimate source if I indeed have a O'Day Widgeon/12. Any advice or help much appreciated. Thanks! Anyone else that has ideas would be very open to what you can share! Thank you.

-----
Hello, I was just given a ~12.5 ft O'Day boat with HIN XDY A5221 G4 85 that also has a 25 year O'Day anniversary plate. Research so far tells me this is an O'Day 12 and/or Widgeon, but trying to verify and look at finding replacement parts, rigging, spars, manuals, etc. Any help with my journey would be appreciated! Thanks, Stewart
___

Jun 2, 2004
First, let me say an overdue SORRY! for not replying much sooner! I've been spending too much time on various O'DAY Owner FaceBook pages, and missed checking this forum! (I have changed my "watching" of this thread to trigger an e-mail from now on!)

XDYA5221G485 confirms that you do indeed have a 1985 WIDGEON (that "A" is the proof). In detail, you have the 5221st Widgeon built (production started in 1964).

For Replacement parts, your best source is D&R Marine in Assonet, MA (508) 644-3001 or www.drmarine.com. If you need something O'DAY-Specific, and you don't see it in the Widgeon pages of that web-site, give Rudy a phone call, as he has MUCH MORE in stock than appears on the site! I am fortunate enough to live only 45 minutes from his store, so an occasional visit on a Saturday morning is fun!

I have an Expanded Owners Manual that I created based on the O'DAY original with many added diagrams and details, including rigging specs, spinnaker rigging, class Association info, and various other info from my experience with my 1970 model, as well as info given to me by Rudy Nickerson or D&R Marine (aka: O'DAY Parts source), and some good info that I bought from an long ago Distributer/Sales agent for O'DAY.

Ordering one of my Widgeon Manuals is simple; I ask for $25.00 (Continental USA only, will need to get postage quote for outside USA, or Alaska and Hawaii) to cover printing and postage costs, Shipping is by Priority-Mail. I will need a mailing address to ship the Manual.

Payment can be either by check sent to:

Rodney Johnson

152 East Bacon St C4

Plainville, MA 02762

Or if you have a PayPal or Vemmo account, some people find that easier. (rjohnson24@juno.com)

For that price you will receive; the expanded Widgeon Manual (52+ pages), based on the original O'DAY supplied Rigging Instructions but with more diagrams and details (including list of all running and standing rigging sizes and lengths) part of the expansion is that my manual basically covers the whole production run (1963-2004).

I also include scanned a copy of the Widgeon part of the O’DAY Sales Brochure that matches the year of your boat (if known). If you don’t know the year, I can narrow it down from a picture or answers to a few detail questions.

I'll get everything ready to mail out while waiting for your mailing address. I think you will find this booklet to be a real help. I also will do my best to answer any Widgeon questions that you may have.

THANK YOU!

Rod Johnson, (former owner of) BLUE BIRD

1970 WIDGEON Hull# 22698 Class# 1791

Attachments

Dec 31, 2022
O'Day Widgeon 1985 Chesapeake Bay
Hi Rod, thanks so much! Just sent you Venmo with payment for manual and an email with my address.

Thanks for all the great details. As I took over just the hull, I am on the hunt for all parts and accessories, so any hints from you or anyone else on used parts would be very welcome. I am definitely going to end up dropping some cash at D&R! I wish I was 15 minutes away or there was a Chesapeake Bay version!

Thank you and looking forward to the manual!
Stewart

First, let me say an overdue SORRY! for not replying much sooner! I've been spending too much time on various O'DAY Owner FaceBook pages, and missed checking this forum! (I have changed my "watching" of this thread to trigger an e-mail from now on!)

XDYA5221G485 confirms that you do indeed have a 1985 WIDGEON (that "A" is the proof). In detail, you have the 5221st Widgeon built (production started in 1964).

For Replacement parts, your best source is D&R Marine in Assonet, MA (508) 644-3001 or www.drmarine.com. If you need something O'DAY-Specific, and you don't see it in the Widgeon pages of that web-site, give Rudy a phone call, as he has MUCH MORE in stock than appears on the site! I am fortunate enough to live only 45 minutes from his store, so an occasional visit on a Saturday morning is fun!

I have an Expanded Owners Manual that I created based on the O'DAY original with many added diagrams and details, including rigging specs, spinnaker rigging, class Association info, and various other info from my experience with my 1970 model, as well as info given to me by Rudy Nickerson or D&R Marine (aka: O'DAY Parts source), and some good info that I bought from an long ago Distributer/Sales agent for O'DAY.

Ordering one of my Widgeon Manuals is simple; I ask for $25.00 (Continental USA only, will need to get postage quote for outside USA, or Alaska and Hawaii) to cover printing and postage costs, Shipping is by Priority-Mail. I will need a mailing address to ship the Manual.

Payment can be either by check sent to:

Rodney Johnson

152 East Bacon St C4

Plainville, MA 02762

Or if you have a PayPal or Vemmo account, some people find that easier. (rjohnson24@juno.com)

For that price you will receive; the expanded Widgeon Manual (52+ pages), based on the original O'DAY supplied Rigging Instructions but with more diagrams and details (including list of all running and standing rigging sizes and lengths) part of the expansion is that my manual basically covers the whole production run (1963-2004).

I also include scanned a copy of the Widgeon part of the O’DAY Sales Brochure that matches the year of your boat (if known). If you don’t know the year, I can narrow it down from a picture or answers to a few detail questions.

I'll get everything ready to mail out while waiting for your mailing address. I think you will find this booklet to be a real help. I also will do my best to answer any Widgeon questions that you may have.

THANK YOU!

Rod Johnson, (former owner of) BLUE BIRD

1970 WIDGEON Hull# 22698 Class# 1791

Jun 2, 2004
Stewart,
Thanks, I'll get the Manual out in the next few days, I already printed most of it. I'll be including a few pictures that I have of 1984-87 Widgeons, maybe there are some details there that will help you recreate what is missing. I thought i had specs on the mast, so will look to find them (I have several drawings, undimensioned, in the Manual, maybe that will help get a close idea of specs). The Class Association "rules" that I have do give rough dimensions of the sails, so finding something used (even if off another boat) may help, but if looking at new sails, most sailmakers should have the Widgeon "patterns". I have heard that Bacon Sails in Annapolis has lots of used sails and I think I've heard of a shop in that area that sells used/surplus masts and booms. Easiest place to get a mast and boom may be D&R, but shipping will be $$$! That said, Rudy at D&R is known for finding unique ways to save on shipping!

Jun 2, 2004
BVLew, I am so sorry that I had not checked this forum for a while, so missed your post!
If you haven't found me and ordered the Manual, then........
YES, that will work, price is $25.00 including shipping.
I need to look at my settings for this thread, as I thought I had set up an alert for posts?

BVLew

Oct 20, 2018
Catalina 30 Ithaca
@Sunbird22358 Thanks. I thought I had set the forum to tell me if you responded, but that didn't work either :). I've put a check in the mail. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2023
Oday Widgeon trailer ME and NH
Another new Widgeon owner here, a 1982 (pending my double checking the Hull ID#) Excited to get her in shape for sailing! So far I've put in a tabernacle to step mast more easily. Also a 4" inspection port (in forward bulkhead) to access and pump out bilge water more easily. We don't have the forward hatch boards for access and storage - maybe do that sometime? Needs some work on slow leaks at centerboard.
So I'd like to order a manual too from @Sunbird22358. I'll send a private eml with contact info and address. I'll send $ per your instructions above at #51.
Thanks!