O'Day Sprite Rudder.

Dec 29, 2021
O'Day Sprite Lake Champlain
We lost the rudder to O'Day Sprite and I have the capacity to make a new one, however need dimensions from someone. I have a blown up photo that might suffice for the general outline, and can see the design quite clearly.. The best solution would be If someone would be kind enough to trace a rudder full scale on a piece of paper and mail it to me I would be glad to cover expenses. I would also need to know the thickness of the rudder metal. A photo of a rudder with a measure along side of it might suffice as well. Thanks in advance, Peter Erb Hinesburg Vermont

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Too late now, but, when you replace the rudder, might I suggest adding a lanyard to the new one? On my old WIDGEON I had a length of 1/4" line attached to the top of the tiller (could instead be attached directly to rudder) that would be attached to an eyestrap (using a bronze snap-hook) on the inside of the transom, that line would have kept the rudder with the boat if it fell off in a capsize. The line was long enough to allow me to remove the rudder and lay it on the aft seat/flotation tank while moored. Fortunately, I never capsized while sailing, but did have the boat roll over once on the mooring in a storm (only happened that once, due to a combination of HEAVY rain and strong wind coming from the one direction that I had no shelter from!), and the rudder stayed with the boat. I'm working on one for my DS II, mostly to prevent loss if I were to drop the rudder while putting it on or taking it off while moored. I have a small pin that fits through a hole in the upper pintle to keep rudder on while sailing, not perfect.... needs a way to lock it in, but still works.

Attachments

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Here is the basic measurements of the Widgeon Rudder, might help.....
D&R Marine still sells the major parts of this rudder (upper part, blade, tiller, tiller saddle, pintles)
I think the Widgeon rudder was slightly bigger than the one on the Sprite, mostly in the upper part, blade may have been same size/shape, most likely, the top part of the Sprite rudder was the same as the Widgeon, but part was cut off the very top to make it shorter? .
I have also posted pictures of the major parts for reference.

Attachments

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Just curious, but did you contact the source I gave you?