O'DAY soundproofing

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Did a search on sound proofing but only found lots of discussion on type of materials. Really wondering where the panels can be placed.
Front, no problem, engine access hatch under companion way ladder.
Starboard side, also easy, line the quarter berth access panel.
Port side, more complicated as area is completely open to locker. Add material to cockpit locker seat and side or close off the open area?
Cockpit floor, likely will be the most important but currently has a bunch of hoses and wires covering it. Maybe could use some spacer blocks to save rerouting all that.
Aft, leave open for combustion air and cooling ventilation or try to seal? The area has the propshaft and engine cables do it would be hard to really seal and not sure would make much difference.
I am concerned about providing adequate ventilation without defeating the sound proofing. Would love to hear from all those who have done this on an O'day.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I have a 31 which sounds like the same layout and issues. I just covered the accessible areas in the engine compartment. Didn't do the quarter berth panel, cockpit locker area or under the cockpit floor. I am planning on doing the quarter berth panel area. The rest just looks like too much work, or at least more effort than I'm willing to put in. What I did so far helped but I'm not sure doing the rest would justify the time, effort and expense. The cockpit floor is already fairly thick so I don't think that would give much return. To do the cockpit locker area I think the best way would be to close off the open area as you suggested. The last thing would be to close off the engine compartment with a panel in front of the fuel tank (assuming the 34 is the same a the 31. But if you did all that I agree that you would want to add some vents and a blower.

Sorry that this only reiterates most of your questions but if you do all this please let us know how effective it was.

Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for all your thoughts. I will take and post before and after sound readings.
Front engine access will be first but I think that will mainly help below and our biggest problem is the sound level in the cockpit.

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
I started with the engine enclosure on my 1988 322. Bought a heavy duty sound kit from Defender and WOW what a difference it made. Cabin noise and cockpit noise noticeably reduced. Sealed all the cracks and jooints with membrane tape.
Looking to do the aft cabin and the vee berth next.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
OK, I'll bite. What on earth is included in a heavy duty sound kit from Defender?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Might want to check out <sailor solutions.com>. 12” squares and much easier to work with. Works well

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Silver faces you. There is no glue. Just peel the back and stick on. Cut to size first. When you stick it on, be sure it’s where you want it. No second chances...

Sep 23, 2009
Bw do you have any pics of which surfaces you applied the soundproof material to?
Thank you for posting.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Just a general about sound proofing. Old motor mounts will become a source of noise transmission. As the rubber ages, it get hard. The rubber will still isolate higher frequencies that interfere with speech, but lower frequencies that fatigue your nerves will be passed right through.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Bw do you have any pics of which surfaces you applied the soundproof material to?
Thank you for posting.
I do not. Basically under companionway stairs and wall between engine and quarterberth. Sometime, I will do the other side. The engine is pretty quiet though.. If your areas are full of systems stuff, you will have to somehow remove it or get underneath it somehow

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
I do not. Basically under companionway stairs and wall between engine and quarterberth. Sometime, I will do the other side. The engine is pretty quiet though.. If your areas are full of systems stuff, you will have to somehow remove it or get underneath it somehow
20190406_124033.jpg
20190406_124234.jpg
20190406_124239.jpg

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
BTY: Download a SPL meter app for your phone. Even though it is not calibrated, you can still do a before and after. The different between the two should still be accurate.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Good work, Tally Ho. How did you attach the Reflectix, staples? glue?
BTW, I use the same material on the inside of the companionway plexiglass to reduce the greenhouse effect from our Arizona sun.