O’Day mariner 2+2 questions

Jul 4, 2019
O’Day Mariner 2+2 Cummmaquid
i recently acquired a 1969 O’Day mariner 2+2 in very good condition but I have a few questions that hopefully I can get some feedback to help.
The mast is very heavy, stats say it’s weight is 40#, this one is much heavier..anyone ever have water get into the foam in the mast core ?
Also having sailed an RL24 in Oz the mast was much easier to step, I hav e installed a gin pole but still very difficult...any suggestions ?
Has anyone changed the mast plate on this boat ?
Thank for any help, ideas, suggestions

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Qantasman, Welcome to the SBO forums. There was a recent discussion of the O'Day boats that included the 2 + 2. Check the quick search box at the top right of this page. Enter O'Day Mariner or 2 + 2 and see what choices of information come to light.

We helped a friend change the mast step on his older Precision 16 last fall. Although it is not the same boat both are similar in size and materials. We did some work on his older Mariner too. We removed the mast step/plate/tabernacle on the Precision because it was bent. It was held in place by 4 screws that went into the cabin top and a separate, longer one that extended through the cabin top and into the support pole that was in the cabin/V berth area. That pole was attached to the hull down low in the boat, but not onto the bottom of the hull. If you are changing the "plate" on the cabin top you will probably only be dealing with screws, but through bolts would be visible inside the cabin on the overhead. Parts are available. Look for information on Rudy's location and contact information.

Heavy mast? Hmmmm. Is it original equipment? Any foam in the mast should not absorb water because that would put extra weight above the hull where it won't be helpful. Does that foam seem to be an added material rather than factory installed?

I'm sure others will be helpful in the specifics of your project. Pictures are always helpful if you can add them using the "upload a file" choice in the lower right corner of the page. Best Wishes.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Quantasman, to SBO. This is the place to be. You have chosen wisely.
The foam in your mast is standard, however, I am not a fan of it. At some point, it is on my list to remove, but it isn't a high priority item. I don't have any problem raising my mast alone. There are lots of Mariner owners who use gin poles and are very happy with them. This sight and the very active Mariner Class Association site have plenty of information about all things Mariner. I highly recommend spending the $15/ year and joining them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
I tried to take the mast down to go under a bridge; and I broke the cast-mast-step doing it. I bought a stainless mast step for replacement and it worked well. I also added a mast plate to put under the step. It has many holes to attach all sorts of turning blocks, Vang attachments etc. Use a butyl sealant on the cabin top to prevent leaking.
The short distance, on the cabin roof, to leverage the mast up makes it difficult. See the Mariner web site for lots of help in that effort, www.usmariner.org. That foam in the mast is there for a reason, flotation. Don't take it out. A Mariner will rarely go over; but stuff happens on the briny.