O'Day Manual Pumps Found

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Good news for anyone with the orginal O'Day manual bilge pump.
It took a while but I have found a source for both parts and the pump so hopefully no new holes have to be drilled in the cockpit to replace a worn out pump.
Orginally made by Kempax of Sweden and imported by Raritan (another long gone NJ company). They are now labeled Viking pumps by Johnson. Both the pumps and the parts are available from www.PumpVendor.com. Flapper valves are 9.35 and the square "O" rings are 4.86. Once I replace these my pump will be back on the job for hopefully another 30 years.:dance:

May 26, 2004
- - Oriental, NC
Larry

Really appreciate this. I assume the pump is the js 70-50027 for 1" bulkheads? I have an 89 O'Day and have been looking for parts to rebuild.

Goodwinds
DaveM

Sep 23, 2009
You're very welcome ofcourse. Not sure about the part number. There was no number on my orginal but I thought I read somewhere that it then was 70-50005. The number may have changed.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Thanks Larry, great info.
Looks like the "thrudeck" model is what we want. The horizontal handle model looks like it mounts flat on a surface with the handle horizontal. The "thrudeck" is noted as mounting on a vertical surface with a cover plate. Not sure if we use a 1" or 1.5 inch hose though. I haven't used mine in a long while, guess I should see if it still works :>)
Thanks again Larry.

Sep 23, 2009
The hose is 1.5 inch intake and discharge. Although they could easily have changed that on different years just by changing the hose connectors.
Thank you for all your help jibes.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Good news for anyone with the orginal O'Day manual bilge pump.
It took a while but I have found a source for both parts and the pump so hopefully no new holes have to be drilled in the cockpit to replace a worn out pump.
Orginally made by Kempax of Sweden and imported by Raritan (another long gone NJ company). They are now labeled Viking pumps by Johnson. Both the pumps and the parts are available from www.PumpVendor.com. Flapper valves are 9.35 and the square "O" rings are 4.86. Once I replace these my pump will be back on the job for hopefully another 30 years.:dance:
Thanks for the research. That's going save me some time.

Sep 23, 2009
"Trust but verify." O'Day tired to keep as much uniformity as they could between models but vendors may have changed specs on supplied parts. The easiest way to check hose dia is at the intake end in the bilge. Easiest way to get access to the pump in the 34/35 is to remove the starboard propane locker liner.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
I just installed the Johnson 70-50005, and it fit perfectly -- the cutout, the screw holes, the hose connections. Yay me!

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
Searching for a Kempax repair solution - only the rubber boot is still available on www.PumpVendor.com, though you can still order the whole pump (Johnson 70-50005 Viking Hand Pump). Viking Johnson 70-50005 info here.
My troubleshooting identified poor exit (flap) valve seal (so inadequate vacuum to prime). Disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled - still doesn't seal well enough to pump, but draws suction well if the exit port is occluded.
The Viking Johnson catalog shows a new "universal" manual bilge pump with similar performance metrics, but with a different through deck bolt pattern/opening from the older 70-50005, AND with one significant improvement - the exit valve is a tricuspid design, not a flap.
Whale Pumps makes a 1-1/2 inch back flow preventer with a tricuspid valve
whale check valve.jpeg
that fits the 1-1/2 inch ID Shields 140 hose cuff and attached with a 90 degree silicone elbow
Elbow.jpeg
from Amazon to the pump outflow port, the vintage Kempax pumps like a champ!
The elbow serves 2 purposes - one, it's darn hard to find 1-1/2 inch ID hose/tubing to connect the Whale back flow preventer to the pump outflow port and two, the starboard propane locker creates a tight turn coming out of the outflow port, kinking the Shields hose. (I accessed my pump by removing the plywood panel at the end of the starboard quarter berth)
.IMG_0656.jpeg
I'll cut off the 1 inch diameter adapter sections of the back flow preventer and shorten one straight arm of the elbow to 1.25 inches (the length of the outflow port) and it should fit back in like a charm!
I'll try to remember to capture a photo after installation (not for a few more weeks here in Michigan) and post a follow-up.
Price out the door for this modification is $29 + $15 = $44, with no new holes in the boat!