ODay in business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave...

Can anyone tell me if ODay is still in business building new boats? I've looked all over the internet and in some sailing magazines, but can't seem to find anything. Thanks, Dave...

T

Tom Ehmke

O'DAYS BEING MADE IN JAPAN

Dave, I found this on the Yahoo!Clubs O'Day owners website. http://members.aol.com/oday272j/index.htm. I checked it out and it indicates that a company in Japan has bought the molds for SOME models and is producing boats. I own a 272 and down-loaded the pix and advertising blurbs which appear to be taken from the original O'Day advertising material from the late '80's. The lines and interior layout appear to be the same. 'twould be nice if this O'Day owners site made the address available on the ODO home page.

D

Dave...

thanks

Hi Tom, Thanks for the info. I guess that rules out considering a new ODay. Since I'm looking to buy something over 25' in the next year or so, can I ask you how you like the 272? Would you recommend it for someone who wants to do lake sailing and cruising for now, and maybe in Florida a few years down the road. One key question is, is it trailerable, and if so what does it take to tow it? Again thanks. Good sailing. Dave...

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Huh.

It really does look like there is now an O'day Japan. No way to know what its up to though as the pages do not appear to be dated. Dave - for what its worth O'day of the United States closed its doors a decade ago. Parts are still available, however, and there are enough owners out there provide lots of information if you need it. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Dates

I found a date embedded in the underlying html document... and it's from May of this year! I sent an email to the folks to see if this is for real. Hard to tell, but it looks like they're building 272s.

T

Tom Ehmke

MORE ABOUT O'DAY JAPAN

I did a little more research and found the web page for O'Day Japan. It contains information about the models that are currently being produced there. They are the 272,302, and the 322. The web address of O'Day Japan Corporation is http://members.aol.com/odayjapan/index.htm. If anyone wants information about one of the boats manufactured, replace odayjapan with oday272j,oday302j, or oday322j and complete the address. I downloaded the 272 stuff a couple of weeks ago because I don't have photos of some of the stuff shown on the net site. Seems to me that we ought to be happy that someone is making O'days somewhere...

T

Tom Ehmke

272 info for Dave in Atlanta

Dave, I've been on sort of a crusade to relate the merits of the 272 since I discovered this O'day site last winter. I think that it is a FINE pocket cruiser for day sailing. It is easily single-handed, it has all the amenities for longer distance cruising for one to three people (any more and it gets crowded in the cockpit), the shallow draft wing keel (2'11") makes it possible to sail in inland lakes, and it reaches (and exceeds) hull speed w/o gale force winds. It is also trailerable, but keep in mind that it weighs app. 7300 lbs. When I bought mine, the cradle was setting on a flatbed construction trailer,and the previous owner moved it from time to time, but most of the time it was stored at the marina from season to season. I have no vehicle capable of towing a trailer with that kind of weight on it, so I store it at the boatyard. If you are interested in my opinion regarding the sailing and handling characteristics of the 272, I can be reached at tomclaud.wcnet.org. Tom Ehmke tooth'n'nail Catawba Island, Ohio

B

Bem McAndrew

O'Day still in Bussineus????

Sorry, But I am sad to say that O'Day started going under in 1986 and closed it's doors in 1989, shortly after the death of George D O'Day. But don't let that discourage you, there ar still allot of O'days out there, and they make a good SOLID boat. I know someone that u might be able to talk to about these boats: Call Yankee boating center in Lake George, N.Y. They sold O'Days for 20 years and know how to patch u up with parts, ect. call (518) 668-3899 and ask to talk to Bob or Shelia Brodie. Their web site is also worth a visit, too. www.yankeeboat.com see ya on the water, and good luck -Benjamin McAndrew

B

Buddy Riley

Are O'Days still being built

When I spoke to Rudy of D&R a few years back, he told me he owns the molds for several models, including the 240, and the O'Day 35. He builds them on oder, which is great, because it would allow for some minor customization (Colors, ports, wood finishes, etc.) This is also great, because he can build replacement parts for any of the models the owns. I wish he would advertise, say the small classified adds in the back of all sailing magazine so that people would know that the have the option of having a new one built, as opposed to the many less well designed boats on the market today.

T

Tom Ehmke

Buddy, Some O'day models are being built in Japan

Check out my reply of 9/24. I found the website address for O'day Japan at the Yahoo!O'day owners website. According to the information they provide, they are currently building the 272, 302, and 322, along with some smaller models.

Status
Not open for further replies.